Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Beginner's Class?

Thread: Beginner's Class?

Beginner's Class?

I know very little about how cars work, so does anyone know of a class that I could take that would give me a good understanding?

I've checked my local community college and didnt see anything.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

www.howstuffworks.com

Seriously...can give you a great foundation...
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

Did you mean how cars work or how to work on our cars?

This is how cars work.

Working on our cars will need a little more time.

thanks thats a good start. i would also like to know how to work on my car too, so anything else you have to offer, let me know.

Best way I learned was by doing...you learn from mistakes...you can buy a service manual and study that, but nothing is going to teach you like doing your own work...start with oil changes and small stuff and work your way up
    -Josh
    2002 BMW M3

attend some of the NCC DIY clinics...watch and ask questions. great opportunity to see a bunch of basic maint stuff being done with a bunch of friendly club members around.

also - buy a robert bently manual for the car you own. excellent reference that goes into good detail on how to do everything from basic stuff to engine tear downs.

basic work on a car is really simple and doesn't require a lot of tools. it is just a matter of realizing is it not some wierd science...it is only nuts and bolts.

I started when i had to change a tire as a kid. kept taking stuff apart over the (40)years...now i build race cars for fun. oh well...

marshall

The biggest problem is to get a decent manual for newer cars.

Here is an online repair manual for some of the cars.

I also second the notion of "Learn by doing". Small maintenance stuff first and then onto other things. I used to be scared of the working on my E30 but now I am not all that scared of the V12.

I've done a few DIYs and they have helped. I'm thinking of getting a track car soon, so that's the reason I bring this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    I see. What are you getting? M Coupe?
    An M coupe would be nice, but i've been looking for an e36 M3. Not looking to spend much money since I'll probably have to put some money into the car itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
    www.howstuffworks.com

Seriously...can give you a great foundation...
    That's how I started learning about a bunch of stuff in college. People laugh, but you learn much faster teaching yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    An M coupe would be nice, but i've been looking for an e36 M3. Not looking to spend much money since I'll probably have to put some money into the car itself.
    if you want to control the budget a bit, recommend e36 325 or 328. handling will be equal to m3 (after the mods you would do to the m3 or 325). tires and brake parts will be a bunch less. those "consumable" expenses are what will kill the budget, not the initial purchase cost.

i race a 325. although the m3's are in a different class, the only thing they have on me is 50hp and a lighter wallet.

Thread Information