Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E39 Transmission Problem

Thread: E39 Transmission Problem

E39 Transmission Problem

I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I own a 2001 530i with a 5 speed manual transmission. The car has 97,000 miles and is in very good condition. 3 times in the last 6 months when I have been at a stoplight and released the clutch to accelerate nothing happens. The car just sits there and the engine revs. I push the clutch in once or twice and everything is back to normal. The last time this happened the car started to move slowly and repeated the same problem through 2nd and 3rd gears as if the clutch was slipping. This has happened 3 times in 10,000 miles and the rpms seem fine while I drive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Could it be an intermittent slave cylinder problem? This exact thing happened to me in my otherwise reliable Miata a few years back. Also might want to check into a flushing of your clutch hydraulics. I'm sure there's a DIY out there somewhere, or you can open up page 210-4 of your Bentley Manual (or I can lend you mine if you live in Fairfax).

That is odd, but I also think it's hydraulic related (either master or slave cylinder). Try bleeding it, as suggested, but be sure to use a pressure bleeder! I tried the "normal" method and you really can't do it on these cars. Bentley only recommends a pressure bleeder. You can get one at bavauto for about $50. Great to have around for brake/clutch work.

Thread Information