Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Your favorite motor oil? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What type of motor oil do you use?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amsoil

6 19.35%
  • Castol

10 32.26%
  • Mobile 1

14 45.16%
  • Who know's? Whatever Jiffy Lube puts in

1 3.23%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite motor oil?

Brad Penn for air cooled and Mobil 1 for the other Germans

Quote Originally Posted by Jase007 View Post
    Brad Penn Racing in on-track P-cars
    Oil is the "life blood" for air / oil cooled motors ....

I just got myself a couple of cases of the Brad Penn for my Porkchop. I have not put it in yet, but it was as close as I could get to the old Kendal GT the previous owner ran in it.

The 97 M3 and 2001 Audi Allroad both get Mobil 1 15W-50 at twice the indicated intervals. At about 150 track days, I had the hydraulic lifters replaced in Vader because of loud tapping. I was told that everything else in the motor looked brand new. Not bad after nearly 10 years of track use, but I pussy foot around in that car.

Oh, the Toyota pick-em-up gets Castrol GTX 10W-30 because I got it with 130K on the clock and I was afraid of switching so late in the motor's life.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

ONLY Castrol TWS in the E46 M3.

Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    ONLY Castrol TWS in the E46 M3.
    Yup, no choice there. 10W-60 castrol only.
    2002 ///M3 Coupe

I am a fan of Lubro Moly myself.
    2002 330i stahlblau metallic (ZPP/ZSP/ZCW); Dinan S; UUC EVO 3 short shifter, clutch stop, and clutch arm bushings; ///M3 steering wheel & ///M shift knob; lip spoiler; clear corners & sidemarkers; hardwired V1

I've never used any synthetic in my Bimmers, have flogged a 533 and a home made M3 relentlessly with no engine lube problems. All of these oil discussions seem academic without anyone experiencing a failure that could be attributed to an oil shortcoming. I've always felt that the early and exclusive synthetic oil regimen only guaranteed that future owners would have a nice engine! excepting you diehards who keep a car forever(Woody).

Wow, what great stories about motor oil. Wayne Dempsy from Pelicanparts.com mentioned about Consumer Report. They did a study btwn synthetic and regular motor oil//they bought two new cabs and set them loose in NYC for # of months and then took both engines apart. Final result was neither performed better than the other. So motor oil is truly motor oil. Stay away from companies and their marketing hype which will sell you any kind of snake oil for higher price. Our 325I owners manual will describe what oil u should use given the various range of temperature. So stick to your owners manual and not to the marketing fluff.

I buy my motor oil at Walmart. Which has oil's from major brands to Walmart's brand.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Well after a few years of Mobile 1, the motor oil in the family cars was changed to Amsoil. We have been running 0w-30 and 5w-30 in 2 BMW's, 1 Subaru and a Ford Ranger with no issues for about a year now. Amsoil was choosen for it's performance characteristics, ability to protect from engine wear, and a slight underdog factor.

What are you running and why?
    Amsoil is not an API rated oil and is not on BMW's approved list of oils for our engines.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

That link also cites an API rating which Amsoil does fall into https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Exclamation

That link also cites an API rating which Amsoil does fall into https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx
    Not API certified. And NOT recommended by the OEM. When my engine is at stake I will only use BMW recommended fluids. Which is cheaper 5 quarts of oil or a new engine?

OK I'll make it easy for you.

"AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine"

"APPLICATIONS
    AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
    • ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
    • ACEA A5/B5-04
    • GM 4718M, 6094M
    • Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    • Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
    • VW 503.00
    • Honda/Acura HTO-06 "

And if you don't want to run it that's fine.
    Supercharged '03 530

Exclamation

OK I'll make it easy for you.

"AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine"

"APPLICATIONS
    AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for use in gasoline engines, diesel engines (API CF, ACEA B5) and other applications requiring SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 with the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF, SL, SJ …
    • ILSAC GF-4, 3 …
    • ACEA A5/B5-04
    • GM 4718M, 6094M
    • Ford WSS-M2C929-A
    • Daimler Chrysler MS-6395N
    • VW 503.00
    • Honda/Acura HTO-06 "

And if you don't want to run it that's fine.
    And I'll make it even easier for you. It is not API certified. What benchmarks are being used here to determine that Amsoil is as good or better than an API rated oil? Reciting Amsoil talking points does not change the fact that these oils are NOT recommended for BMW engines. These are:

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

• Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30
    • Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40
    • Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30
    • Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

How is it not API

The BMW site, you provided, specifies API of SM or better

Amsoil is SM or better

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf
    Supercharged '03 530

I think you guys need to unplug for a little bit!

Okay....

I thought it was friendly banter
    Supercharged '03 530

Thread Information