Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Your favorite motor oil? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What type of motor oil do you use?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amsoil

6 19.35%
  • Castol

10 32.26%
  • Mobile 1

14 45.16%
  • Who know's? Whatever Jiffy Lube puts in

1 3.23%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite motor oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    FYI, Jiffy Lube uses Amsoil.
    I cannot find anything to support this claim. The only info presented is that Jiffy Lube uses Penzoil.

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    I cannot find anything to support this claim. The only info presented is that Jiffy Lube uses Penzoil.
    I can take a photo of the Jiffy Lube down the block with the huge Amsoil banner over each of their bays.

Maybe just this branch uses it?

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Woody,

Ole Wives tale is Castrol would prevent proper breaking in of the new or rebuilt engine. Rings wouldnt seat correctly or something. After engine was broken in it was fine to use Castrol.
    Speaking of Castrol, this past Sunday I was working the course at the SCCA autocross when the junior karts were running. They were putting out a distinctive odor that brought back memories of sports car races in the 50s and 60s. At that time the popular oil for the racers was a Castrol product that contained castor oil (thus the brand name I assume). It turns out this castor oil is still popular for the karts. I was also told is is considered carcinogenic.
    There used to be a company that sold LP records with recordings of races and engines revving in the pits. Sounds of Sebring was one popular title. The record were sold through mail order and you could pay extra for a small can of the Castrol castor oil to heat in a pan on the stove while you listened to the cars.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I love the smell of 2-stroke oil in the morning! It smells like racing!
    RRT Racing Crew Member

Banned
    I used to think there was no better aroma in the morning then the smell of warm engines and gearboxes, hot brakes and clutches and tires at operating temps.

Now its the smell of sheep, sheep poop and damp collies in the morning.
    And a mason jar of Virginia's best corn liqour untaxed of course.

Yeah there is one smell that beats them both but this board allows minors right!

Woody some posters dont know what an LP is or a turntable.

Linn Sondek rules.

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce N View Post
    To me it smells like yard work.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Red Line

Since OG Racing carries it, I've used Red Line oil in my engine for years now. I use 10W40 all year, and change it every 6 months (about 10K miles) at RRT's recommendation. I've had no leaks, it hardly burns oil at all, and the car gets revved to "red line" daily. I take it for granted so much now, that I have to remind myself to check it occasionally.

Brian Hair

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce N View Post
    Ugh. The Castor oil has its own unique smell.
    Woody

I use Amsoil Racing Synthetic 20W50 for the 8 and BMW/Castrol 5W30 for the Z3. Used to use Mobil 1 15W50 on the 8 before.

Anyone use Motul oils here? I like their Brake Fluid, but never used their Motor oil.

I've been quite happy running Mobil 1.

But, I'm anal about it ... 5K and it's out.

Seems like 5,000 miles is about the adverage amount of miles people are changing their oil.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Anyone use Motul oils here? I like their Brake Fluid, but never used their Motor oil.
    I'm using Motul (8100 E Tech?) in my M Coupe at the suggestion of RRT. It costs around ~$10. Is it good? How would I know? First time I've used a synthetic.
    Woody

Mobil1 0W40 in my 528iT for BMW LL01 but, I change it every 4-5K or so.

Have run Valvoline dinosaur in my E30s ... one of them using it for about 200,000 miles now. Good results after 15+ years ... so far.

Brad Penn Racing in on-track P-cars as well as Valvoline Racing 20w-50 ... but think that will be changing to Swepco motor oil [for flat tappet engines : non-hydraulic) b/c even Valvoline Race has reduced friction modifiers ...

See www.bobistheoilguy.com

And good tech info from Charles N at his site: www.LNEngineering.com

Oil is the "life blood" for air / oil cooled motors ....
    Jason

'89 325iX
    '90 325iX
    '00 528iT

I've been using Valvoline Racing 20W50 in my M3 since I bought it 11 years ago (and the previous owner did too). I replaced the rod bearings as a precaution at 162,700 miles (Sept 2006). They were fine and the nationally known tech said the engine inards were clean as a whistle.
    Woody

Thread Information