Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Your favorite motor oil? - Page 5

View Poll Results: What type of motor oil do you use?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amsoil

6 19.35%
  • Castol

10 32.26%
  • Mobile 1

14 45.16%
  • Who know's? Whatever Jiffy Lube puts in

1 3.23%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Your favorite motor oil?

Yeah, exactly. That's why I refer to my humble '98 as a slantsixm3.

Back to this oil thing, I have been using Castrol Syntec 5W-50 for the last 6 years or so, before that, I ran Castrol 20W50 conventional for the first 40k miles, just to ensure the engine broke in fully. In the 90's some engines had a "never broken in fully" syndrome when run on full synthetic from day one. Modernization of manufacturing techniques including better surface finishes have all but eliminated that issue these days.

Times change, technology advances. Using rules your Dad applied to his '62 Buick will waste valuable resources and your hard-earned money. Keep up to date and do what the manufacturer recommends.

Back in the old days (yeah that's me), the hottest of the hot rod Chevys were the ones that were run WFO from day one. They would loosen up a little more and run very strong afterwards. This even from Chevy engineering. You could run 'em hard, just keep them in the temp range.

That said, one must never, never overheat a new motor. Not good for an old one, either.

Enjoy your BMW.
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Some would say, "any built after 1990."
    Original build date, or a later customization? i.e. 87eta with 95 drivetrain and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Original build date, or a later customization? i.e. 87eta with 95 drivetrain and brakes.
    M3s Bob.
    Any "customization" lacking windows is hard to be considered a real anything.
    Woody ;-)
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I had a driver's window! maybe not this year,though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    I like to refer to my black car as a 332is so the Real M3 crowd (ie Chucky G) can bask in the glory of his vastly superior car and its 3 additional throttle bodies.
    Damn, missed this taunt originally! Oh well, I let it go for now, and just consider the source.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Now which is the true 1st M car?
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Quote Originally Posted by JC5 View Post
    Now which is the true 1st M car?
    Good question. The new Motorsport GmbH was formed in 1971 and immediately developed a lightweight 3.0 CS that was called the 3.0 CSL. Within a couple of years racing versions of these cars carried the Motorsports stripes, but no M designation. Likewise, the 1974 2002 Turbo carried Motorsports stripes, but no M designation. The M1 entered production in 1978 and many consider it the first M car.

Trivia item: Bob Lutz, who was announced this week as stepping down as head of GM's Product Development, was an official of BMW AG in 1971 and instrumental in the formation of the Motorsport division.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Trivia item: Bob Lutz, who was announced this week as stepping down as head of GM's Product Development, was an official of BMW AG in 1971 and instrumental in the formation of the Motorsport division.
    Is that why the /// Motorsport logo is sometimes referred to as the triple lutz?

Neil

I had heard some say the 3.0 CSL was reguarded as the first M by some. Then it made me wonder about the 2002 turbo, which doesn't seem to get much press in the M fold.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Thread Information