Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Your favorite motor oil?

View Poll Results: What type of motor oil do you use?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Amsoil

6 19.35%
  • Castol

10 32.26%
  • Mobile 1

14 45.16%
  • Who know's? Whatever Jiffy Lube puts in

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite motor oil?

Your favorite motor oil?

Well after a few years of Mobile 1, the motor oil in the family cars was changed to Amsoil. We have been running 0w-30 and 5w-30 in 2 BMW's, 1 Subaru and a Ford Ranger with no issues for about a year now. Amsoil was choosen for it's performance characteristics, ability to protect from engine wear, and a slight underdog factor.

What are you running and why?

I'm not an oil rep, just a crazed BMW owner
    Last edited by JC5; 10-16-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W44 in the M Coupe. Because RRT recommends it to hold up to the high on-track oil temperatures I see (~260).

Valvoline Racing 20W50 in the M3. Because it has served me well for 10 years of track use and 10 years prior to that in my 325is.

Castrol GTX 10W40 in the 328is. Because it's cheap and readily available.
    Last edited by woodym3; 10-17-2007 at 07:52 AM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Banned
    Used Valvoline 20w50 in my E30325i for 16 years and 237k miles without a problem. Redline in the tranny, rearend and radiator

In my Element right now since the dealer is fairly decent Mobil1 5w20
    Will probably switch to Redline shortly. Redline will go in transaxle but Honda fluid for the rear diff.

Dave Apker and the collies
    Honda Element but the Duncan and Kate want me to buy them a restored Defender 110 reengined diesel for Christmas

Never had an issue with Mobile 1 Synthetic, been using it in other cars as well. Honestly I don't think it makes much difference these days, all oils are very good, especially at the intervals that us junkies change oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Never had an issue with Mobile 1 Synthetic, been using it in other cars as well. Honestly I don't think it makes much difference these days, all oils are very good, especially at the intervals that us junkies change oil.
    I concur... I use Amsoil synthetic 5w30 only because that's what my mechanic puts in my car. I used Castrol GTX on my previous cars and my BMW when I still actually changed the oil myself.

FYI, Jiffy Lube uses Amsoil.

i use:

Castrol full syntec 10w30

or

Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post

FYI, Jiffy Lube uses Amsoil.
    Really? I didn't know that.

Banned
    Back in the early 80's at the Fall race at Watkins Glen was helping out the Electrodyne crew on their 934 since they were nice enough to give me and my dad two free tickets. They were low on oil and AL Collins their engine builder and guru told the mechanic just buy what he could find motor oil is motor oil.

Still remember the ole wives tale about using Castrol on new or rebuilt engines. And just never trusted Amsoil. Always preferred Redline or Mobil

Thumbs up

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic on my 1988 ///M6 only because that is what the previous owner used since 1995. I use BMW full Synthetic on the 1995 ///M3 and BMW conventional oil on the non-Ms. I use Redline Lubricants in the Transmissions and Differentials of all my vehicles. My experience as a Lad in the Marine Corps wrenching on all me and buddies' my Honda's, Nissans, Fords, etc. while dreaming of owning a legendary ///M someday led me to believe that oil is oil as well. My only rule is to stay consistent. I like to keep the same oil that the previous owner kept it running with. I also like to run the same gasoline all the time. I prefer Exxon 93. The Gas at Wawa may be a few cents cheaper but they get it from the lowest bidder. As previous posters noted, as much as BMW stalkers change our oil, we could probably use Crisco and be fine!
    Last edited by ///MARINE; 10-17-2007 at 07:34 AM.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    AL Collins their engine builder and guru told the mechanic just buy what he could find motor oil is motor oil.

Still remember the ole wives tale about using Castrol on new or rebuilt engines. And just never trusted Amsoil. Always preferred Redline or Mobil
    And in college I thought beer is beer. . . .

What was the ole wives' tale about Castrol?
    Woody
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Banned
    Woody,

Ole Wives tale is Castrol would prevent proper breaking in of the new or rebuilt engine. Rings wouldnt seat correctly or something. After engine was broken in it was fine to use Castrol.

Woody didnt you go to college during Prohibition?

My collies herding education cost more than my 4years at GMU from 77 to 81 by a factor of 8 times. Tuition averaged $400 a semester. Bummer when I got Mason they ended free beer on Mason and Patriot Day. at least they can do something useful with the their titles and sheepskin!

Dave Apker

while i've never heard anything specifically about castrol preventing proper break-in, there is truth that synthetics should not be used when breaking in a fresh motor.

synthetic oil's properties are too slick to allow the rings to properly seat. it is best to use conventional oil when breaking in a brand new motor.

but i'm sure many of you already knew that.
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

Cool

Only Mobil 1 0w-40 goes in my bimmer, 239,000 miles and counting, Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I have used Mobil 1 with the silver cap, not the gold cap extended life variety for all my vehicles for the past 8 or 9 years.

I use the 15W50 for the White Beast on track and I use the 5W30 for the two street/daily drivers.

Seems to have worked out fine for me.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Quote Originally Posted by orijinal_poser View Post
    there is truth that synthetics should not be used when breaking in a fresh motor.

synthetic oil's properties are too slick to allow the rings to properly seat. it is best to use conventional oil when breaking in a brand new motor.

but i'm sure many of you already knew that.
    I had only vaguely heard of that, but it was in reguards to the M engines. Why it wouldn't apply to regular non-M engines is beyond me.

Most engines from the show room floor would cover this aspect, hmmm. BMW would put the appropriate oil in to "beak-in oil" in the engine? Right?

Thread Information