Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Calling all E39 Owners for some help

                  
   
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5

    Calling all E39 Owners for some help

    Hello all,
    I've been trying to diagnose the poor ride quality of my 2003 530i Sport. Basically the car seems overly sensitive to imperfections in the road. Even driving on brand new pavement there is always a shakiness to the ride quality I can't seem to get rid of. I've owned two other BMWs (both Sport models) and both were glassy smooth when the road was smooth. I understand the Sport Package will give more feedback, but this is more an annoying than my 330i Sport was. Here's what I've replaced/done:
    - New Pirelli PZero M+S tires (balanced 4 times, including road force)
    - All suspension parts with bushings or ball joints are either new or I checked them and they are tight (swaybar links, thrust arms, control arms, front and rear, all checked out and replaced).
    - New sport shocks with new shock/strut mounts front and rear.

    The car takes bigger bumps (expansion joints, potholes, etc) as I would expect, but it's the constant sensation of driving on a rough road even when it's smooth that's the problem.

    What I'm looking for are any other E39 (preferably Sport) owners who would be willing to let me take a drive in their car (and drive mine) to compare. Also, perhaps swap wheels so I can rule those out or perhaps look for a new set of tires. I'm sick throwing money at parts trying to chase down this problem and any help would be appreciated. Please contact me by email at: drevilkep at hotmail dot com if you can help out (or just post back here). Thanks everyone!

    EDIT: I'll be happy to provide beer to anyone who can help me track this one down!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    It sounds like to me that you have a bent wheel, a problem I"m currently addressing with my e39 m5.
    The best way to check it would either put the car on a lift and spin the wheels have a quality wheel shop check it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by setpole View Post
    It sounds like to me that you have a bent wheel, a problem I"m currently addressing with my e39 m5.
    The best way to check it would either put the car on a lift and spin the wheels have a quality wheel shop check it.
    I've been to two shops (Radial Tire and BMW of Fairfax) for wheel balancing and I've specifically asked the techs to check for bent rims. The wheels were balanced 4 times between two shops and one rim was replaced with the spare. I'm not saying there isn't another, but I'd be surprised. It's one of the reasons I'd like to find someone willing to swap wheels. Do you have any wheel shops in the area you'd recommend?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    16
    Radial tire was the shop I was thinking of also.
    What size is wheel tire package and is this the stock set up?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by setpole View Post
    Radial tire was the shop I was thinking of also.
    What size is wheel tire package and is this the stock set up?
    I have the stock 17" BBS Sport wheels with Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S, mounted and balanced at Radial Tire.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    401
    I got an 2000 E39 528i sport. You are more than welcome to come by and we can swap wheels and try the car. My wheels aren't perfect, but I've ruled out that they are bad.

    Do you feel it coming from the front or back of the car? I have a similar thing when I turn and hit bumps while slightly on the brake. It feels like the front wheels are bouncing freely, or like the ABS is kicking in (which could actually be the case).

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    I got an 2000 E39 528i sport. You are more than welcome to come by and we can swap wheels and try the car. My wheels aren't perfect, but I've ruled out that they are bad.

    Do you feel it coming from the front or back of the car? I have a similar thing when I turn and hit bumps while slightly on the brake. It feels like the front wheels are bouncing freely, or like the ABS is kicking in (which could actually be the case).
    Thanks for the offer. I sent you a PM, but you can also contact me at drevilkep at hotmail dot com. Thanks!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 08:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 07:36 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM
  4. Insurance Discount for BMW owners
    By Russell Thater in forum Off topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 09:01 AM
  5. 2002 owners?
    By 1996 328ti in forum Chapter Stuff
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2005, 08:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •