Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
How difficult a project?

Thread: How difficult a project?

How difficult a project?

So my camshaft position sensors (both intake and exhaust) are bad and need replacing. I've never performed any of my own repair work on my car (2001 330i MT), but I'm looking to start. The Bentley manual makes me think replacing the sensors isn't too terribly difficult. I'm hoping there are a couple people on here that can give me an idea how hard this project is and how long it might take a novice. Also, does anyonoe have any advice or tips were I to attempt it myself? Thanks for the help.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bantonid View Post
    So my camshaft position sensors (both intake and exhaust) are bad and need replacing. I've never performed any of my own repair work on my car (2001 330i MT), but I'm looking to start. The Bentley manual makes me think replacing the sensors isn't too terribly difficult. I'm hoping there are a couple people on here that can give me an idea how hard this project is and how long it might take a novice. Also, does anyonoe have any advice or tips were I to attempt it myself? Thanks for the help.

Brett
    The exhaust CPS is a piece of cake and shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes. I just did the intake CPS over the weekend and it wasn't that hard but it was a lot more involved (1.5 hrs start to finish). The hardest part for me was removing the 5mm screw as there wasn't enough room for me to use my normal hex bit tool. A 5mm L-shaped allen wrench will go a long way. Also, make sure you route the new intake CPS into place before disconnecting and removing the old one.

Between the following two links and the Bentley manual, you should be good to go.
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...amshaft+sensor
    http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e46/7616963-1.html

Sounds promising. Thanks very much for the links. I plea to the gearhead gurus out there, anyone want to lend a hand and make sure I don't screw anything up? Beers are on me if you do. I'm in Reston if any generous souls are close by. Thanks.

Thread Information