Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Crankshaft Holding Tool

Thread: Crankshaft Holding Tool

Crankshaft Holding Tool

I managed to get the crankshaft bolt off of my 1989 325i, but now I need to torque it back up to 300 foot pounds. Does anyone have a crankshaft holding tool that I can borrow, or have any advice on how I can keep it from moving when I toque the bolt? Thanks.

You managed to torque it off but can't get it back on?

I did this with the disadvantage of having the car up on 4 stands and no e-brake. I placed one end of a flat pry bar (gently) into the notched edge of the crank pulley. I placed the other end up against a block of wood inside the the inner body. It was a precarious setup and I expected the pry bar to slip but it didn't. I extended my breaker bar with a two-foot steel pipe and then pulled like a mother.

I don't have a torque wrench that measures 300 ft. lb., so went with my gut. It hasn't come loose yet.
    Scott Lowrey

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm surprised that the pry bar didn't slip off.

To get the bolt off, I put a breaker bar on the crankshaft nut and wedged the other end under the frame rail and then bumped the ignition. Its described on this webpage. However, they don't have a good method for getting the bolt back on. I've heard some people mention putting screwdriver or pry bar in the flywheel to restrict movement. Will this work? Will it cause any damage? Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bimm...crankbolt.html

My torque wrench maxes @ 150 lb-ft. I would NOT be satisfied with 150 lb-ft when the book recommends 300 lb-ft. My analogy is: your engine holds 7 quarts of oil but 4 will do, right? Not quite the same but you get my drift? I would spend the $70.00 and buy the tool or contact our VP and DIY Chair, Zac, for help. You have come this far do not get lazy now.

[V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Vice President & DIY Co-Chairman
    National Capital Chapter BMWCCA
    MD BMWCCA Plate# BMW0435]

Tom
    Last edited by tgmeyer; 07-17-2007 at 08:43 AM.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information