Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
6/16/2007 Autocross Registration - Open - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6/16/2007 Autocross Registration - Open

6/16/2007 Autocross Registration - Open

Hi, so I have an Alpine White 1987 BMW 325is. I brought it out for its first autocross today. Runs went okay, I ended up overdriving most of the time, drifting all over the place (fun, but not fast!). The car is amazing to drive, just need to learn how to drive it well.

Then came the fun runs, there I started dropping my times in nice chunks. On my last fun run though, I plowed a cone, pulled over to fix it. Coming back to the car, noticed a river of coolant leaking out.

So, to the three guys who helped me figure out the problem and get me on my way, thanks again! I managed to limp all the way to Laurel, MD just stopping once to refill water.

We found a nice gash in the radiator hose caused by alternator fan cutting into it. Not sure why this would happen, expect it was suggested that I check my motor mounts. So, for now I will just replace the hose I guess and start saving money for some major changes.

Any other ideas/tips would be appreciated. Again, thanks to BMWCCA Autocrossers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pulak View Post
    We found a nice gash in the radiator hose caused by alternator fan cutting into it. Not sure why this would happen, expect it was suggested that I check my motor mounts. So, for now I will just replace the hose I guess and start saving money for some major changes.

Any other ideas/tips would be appreciated. Again, thanks to BMWCCA Autocrossers!
    I did a quick search since I knew I'd heard of this before... Check the motor mounts.
    E 30 325 motor mounts from the factory were fairly soft and prone to failure especially on the track where a broken or stretched mount would allow the motor to slide forward under braking and have the power-steering pulley slice through the lower radiator hose on the driver's side. On `88 model year and newer 325's, BMW redesigned the radiator, water pump and cooling hose routing to avoid this problem.
    taken from - http://www.machschnell.com/suspension___handling.html

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    PAX results look wrong. It is from event 2, not event 3.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric View Post
    PAX results look wrong. It is from event 2, not event 3.

---Eric
    Fixed. I'm using someone's open network on my Mac and it's painfully slow.
    I copied the link from the last autocross.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 06-17-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Fixed. I'm using someone's open network on my Mac and it's painfully slow.
    I copied the link from the last autocross.
    Thanks!

Dang. Bogdan got me.

---Eric

Thanks guys! .... now back to figuring out how to sabotage Becker....

Quote Originally Posted by Pulak View Post
    I didn't make it out, but that is a classic symptom of failed motor mounts. It's a common problem on tracked E30s. In '88 BMW redesigned the radiator hose routing to minimize the chances of it happening when the mounts fail, which they all do eventually. Don't just replace the hose, because you will cut it again in short order. Lots of people upgrade using the E12 528 motor mounts--they're a little studier, and not much more expensive.

Kevin
    '90 325i, missed the event to stuff 265/45-16s under it, and it almost worked

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    I didn't make it out, but that is a classic symptom of failed motor mounts. It's a common problem on tracked E30s. In '88 BMW redesigned the radiator hose routing to minimize the chances of it happening when the mounts fail, which they all do eventually. Don't just replace the hose, because you will cut it again in short order. Lots of people upgrade using the E12 528 motor mounts--they're a little studier, and not much more expensive.

Kevin
    '90 325i, missed the event to stuff 265/45-16s under it, and it almost worked
    You missed a great course Kevin. Flat out course. Very quick. I can't wait to see your "surgically improved" 325. Will you be at Manassas?

Pete
    NCC

Anyone have an stock E46 M3 exhaust?

I guess my cat-back puts me into a class with guys running R-Comps now. Does an exhaust really help performance on an autox? It's not like I have twin-turbos!
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

It has nothing to do with the performance improvent (per se), it's that rules are rules. If you think the BMWCCA is strict, start going to SCCA events.

in SCCA, you can have an aftermarket catback and stay in stock class.
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

There are lots of things you can do in the SCCA "stock" category. It's way beyond our "showroom" philosophy.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I meant in terms of strictness with little things. I've heard of protests in stock class over badging removal, clear taillights, etc.

Photos?

Anybody take/post photos from this event?

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Thread Information