Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Torque wrench recommendation?

Thread: Torque wrench recommendation?

Torque wrench recommendation?

Now that I have two sets of wheels for summer and winter tires and am therefore changing them regularly (that and my wife seems to get an inordinate number of flats on her minivan), I was wondering if I should get a manual torque wrench. Thoughts on how important this is? Any recommendations on an inexpensive but decent wrench to buy?

David
    98 E39 540

Yes, get a torque wrench.

Sears has several to choose from that will work just fine.

As Bren said, the sears ones are fine for wheels. Just get one where your normal torque setting is in the middle of the range. The 20-150 lb-ft one they've got is perfect: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00944595000

I use one from Tire Rack for wheels and traveling to events.
    (tirerack.com > Products > Other > Tools > 'Adjustable Torque Wrench)

But then I also have a 1/2 and 3/8 drive analog Craftsman torque wrenches for under the hood and garage use.

Greg

Just be careful

when using the wrench. I've seen many wheels with scuffs around the lug bolts - most likely the result of socket heads hitting the wheels during the removal and installation of lug bolts.

An easy solution is to wrap a thick rubber band around the socket head (close to the edge) so if the socket hits the wheel, the rubber band provides a cushion between the socket and the wheel.

OCD I know...

Both of the two torque wrenches I use are from Sears and have lasted for many years (and no they are not covered by the "lifetime warranty") - just remember to turn the torque setting all the way to zero before storing the wrench.

Brian

Thread Information