Not sure if this isn't more of a service question actually, but here goes...

Say you get an oil pan replaced at a local independent repair shop: You get a quote over the phone for X hours labor plus parts (no parts quote). You get the bill and labor matches the estimate, but there's a BIG parts bill. The repair was successful, but as you're driving home, you start to think that the price of the parts was a bit high. So you call the dealer and get a quote for the same parts and find out you paid 70% above the retail price for the parts. (It's even more outrageous if you think what it would have been with the CCA discount for parts...) Do shops routinely mark-up repair parts?

Is there anything such as a generally accepted business practice when it comes to how much an independent auto repair shop should charge customer for repair parts?

What, if anything can/should I do about it?

a.) Nothing. You didn't ask how much the part would be so it's your fault. They can charge anything they want for parts. (Can they?)

b.) Demand a refund. That's just not right. You should be charged more or less cost for repair parts. If you had to pay a courier fee or something, that's one thing, but this is outrageous. It's un-American....

c.) Talk to the shop. Tell them the facts. Maybe the pricing was wrong and they’ll give you some money back. (And maybe monkeys will fly out of my ...)

d.) Other: _____________

Oh, and no, it was not one of the fine shops you normally hear mentioned here or that normally is associated with the club (perhaps my first mistake….)