Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VF Engineering

Thread: VF Engineering

VF Engineering

What can you tell me about VF superchargers? I am thinking about putting one on my 2005 330CiC. Comments or suggestions welcome.
    Tom

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Talking

I've had one in my 1995 325is for about 9 months. I love it and can't believe the transformation. Added about 100 horsepower. Not a lot of torque improvement down low, but that's mostly a function of my 2.5 liter engine, but between 3000 and 6500, hold on and smile. So far, it's been very reliable and the VFE has super customer service. Best of all, it's totally bolt-on and fully reversible.

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of complete reversibility.
    It's $5K, though. OUCH!
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Yes but a Dinan supercharger, which is essentially the same setup with less boost and less resulting HP will cost you a couple grand more, or at least it did when I was shopping for one. Make sure you talk to the guys at VFE and ask about referrals for installation in this area, it'll make any warrantly work you may have easier.

Are you suggesting that I NOT install it myself?
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Sorry about the delay here I had to go out of town. I have no idea what your skill level is, but installing a supercharger is not among mine. VFE lists install time at about 8 hours. It took my VFE certified independent BMW shop, the owner of which is a good friend of mine, at least that long to install it. There were a few programing issues that needed to be worked out that required my shop and VFE to ship the GIAC chip back and forth. I wouldn't even have attempted it, but like I said, I'm not a gearhead. I understand though that the SC comes with pretty good intall instructions and VFE does have awesome customer support. So go for it...

Mark, No worries. I've been building engines for many years and was a diesel/gas turbine engine as well as AC/R tech in the USCG. I'm sure I can do the mechanical work myself, but you do not know that about me. No worries. I have a friend in Rockville who owns a MB shop and other friends who are gearheads. The only part that concerns me is the software. I suppose I will need to read the instructions...dam.
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Then your set Tom. It'll be a fun project. If you're seriously considering VFE, just call them and ask about any software compatability issues. My issues were due in large part to the fact that I had an earlier production 1995 model (9/94). BMW changed the mapping in the ECU in January of 1995 which when the GIAC software was installed my car wouldn't start. VFE and GIAC developed their software for post 1/95 E36s and my production model was the first that they'd installed an SC to, so ... they worked it out. This is all moot for you since I'm sure VFE has sold many to E46 owners. Bottm line .. I'm very happy with my VFE SC. It's like driving a whole new car, it's beautiful and the sound it makes has slight overtones of a jet engine without being instrusive or loud or clanky which many people complain about with other SCs. Good luck. See you around some club functions.
    Mark Shaffer

Any problems w/ overheating?
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

None. VFE did recommend changing out the radiator and water pump on my car as it was original and E36s were notorious for catastrophic failures of both. Don't know if E46s had the same issue. I also asked them about the clutch and they told me that as long as you don't track the car very much, the OEM clutch should be fine. Like I said, I've had zero problems with the SC or any other engine, cooling, or drive components.

The ESS and AA twin screw applications will get you the same HP gains but with a lot more usable torque. But they cost $2k to $4k more than the VF s/c. I am waiting still for my ESS setup to come in. Anyway you go, enjoy the s/c if you get one...and I WILL be installing mine...love to DIY

Wouldn't it be cheaper to install a larger engine? And yes, I believe I'll go fishing now.

A larger engine???? I think not.
    For the record, I am going Rockfish fishing next weekend.
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information