Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
3.46 Differential

Thread: 3.46 Differential

Cool 3.46 Differential

Hey there Gearheads and Bimmer dreamers I'm sure this thread has got history as well as legs, but I'm currently planning my next mod and have chosen upgrade my 2.93 differential on my 00 323i to a 3.46. I'm wondering has anyone upgraded and is 3.46 a little too ambitious and maybe I should consider the 3.15. Any-who, get back at me with opinions as I'm planning this upgrade for sometime in May 2K7. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Are we talking about auto or manual? I don't think the 3.46 is too aggressive. It's probably a happy medium between better acceleration and revving way too high for highway driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Are we talking about auto or manual? I don't think the 3.46 is too aggressive. It's probably a happy medium between better acceleration and revving way too high for highway driving.
    Manual of course, sorry I didn't state that upfront, would the 3.15 give me a better combination?
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I too had a 2.93 in my '03 330Ci 5-speed and replaced the dif with new from BMW 3.38 used behind the 330 automatics.

There are many pros and cons for placing a different ratio dif in a car and I certainly had my reasons and never looked back. But it would help us all to understand yours and given such can offer specific objective advice.

I found the E46 Fanatics site to be a great resource. One useful Do It Yourself (DIY) post is
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=145570
    and searching for other dif posts are particularly useful to gain relevant opinions.

Greg

Banned
    If you are going through all that trouble you may want to consider a limited slip or a quaiffe(sic) diff.

Deal with a reliable seller. And change the fluid to Redline soonest.

Also consider replacing anything that may fail later on seals, bearings, CV joints, boots etc.

Dave Apker and the collies

I don't know the different gear ratios from your tranny to mine, but. . .
    At 80 mph I'm reving at around 3800 rpm.
    I don't like having the revs above 4K for any length of time.
    Between all the solid bushings I have, there is a lot of buzzing and vibration.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I just put a 3.46 LSD in my '83 528e, replacing the 2.93 LSD and I documented the installation on my web site at this page http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/id20.html. The 3.46 is turning out to be a very good choice, over the 3.25 and 3.64 ratios I investigated and drove, given the type of driving I do, which is long distance and rural.
    FWIW,
    -Rod
    Last edited by rodpaine; 04-23-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Thread Information