Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
It has been tried in the past, and never made it all the way through. There is a process to do it, but you need to get 350 people committed and paid ahead of time. See http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/p...or_special.pdf for the process.

Kevin
I just want to make sure I understand this. Let me know if this is accurate:

0) Some sort of instructions would have to be written up, maybe a sample VSA10, as well as some expectation setting about the timetable and how long the $$ might be sitting before something happens. This could be posted at local shops/dealerships as well as put into the newsletter and on the front page of the website.

1) 350 people need to do the following:
a) fill out this form. Those people need to have up to date registrations in VA for the car in question.
b) Send the form, $25 (plus another $10 for personalized messages) and certification of membership (if necessary) to some central organizing person
c) wait patiently for the 350 person cap to be hit (probably more than 350, in case people move away).

2) Once that cap is hit, and the central organizing person has 350+ applications, $8750 (350 x 25), and some proof of membership for those 350 applicants, then the central organizing person sends the following to the DMV:
-the $$
-the applications (organized into 3 categories)
-permission to use the logo
-the actual artwork in vector format

3) DMV sends back a metal prototype of the plate which has to be blessed by the coordinator.

4) Once blessed, smooth sailing?

What I don't see in the PDF document is how the state legislators are involved in the process - or are they the sponsor?

This doesn't sound too terrible - and once it's done, it's done, right? It won't expire?

The biggest hurdles I see is who creates the escrow account, and getting the word out.