Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Swirls

Thread: Swirls

Swirls

I need Help! My black 2004 330 XI is loaded with swirls. How about some suggestions to remove them. I am reluctant to use an electric polisher for fear of burning my paint. What can I use, that can be applied by hand. Thanks to all for their help

Jeff Horowitz

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horowitz View Post
    I need Help! My black 2004 330 XI is loaded with swirls. How about some suggestions to remove them. I am reluctant to use an electric polisher for fear of burning my paint. What can I use, that can be applied by hand. Thanks to all for their help

Jeff Horowitz
    +1 for a random orbital buffer, they are generally safe and easy to use.

Start with the least aggressive polish first. If that isn't removing the swirls easily, move to a slightly more aggressive one. Continue stepping up until you find one that removes the swirls. Work your way back to the first one you tried as an aggressive polish can leave it's own marks (that the next step down should remove).

Most polishes can be applied by hand (check the bottle) but if you have a lot of swirls and are planning on doing the entire car, it's MUCH easier to use a buffer.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Of course, the quickest way is to take the car to a good detailer, the swirls will be gone in a flash. You will also get a lesson in prevention, if you ask.
    Black cars are, of course, the worst for this. By far, the most common cause of swirls is waxing the car when it is dirty. Lots of folks don't understand how to get their car really, really clean, which is the essential base of a good polish/wax job. You can also swirl up a car by washing it with dirty water and mitts/rags, but you gotta try pretty hard. Just use massive amounts of water, for both soaping and rinsing.

Burning paint, as previously mentioned, is pretty hard with a random orbital. I've heard several folks have great results with Griot's products. I go to www.carcareonline.com, which also has great car care tips.
    Might be a little brisk to do it this weekend.
    Joel Bossard
    ---------------------------------------------
    1998 M3/4, Silver driver
    2002 4X4 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 6-speed hauler
    2006 VW Jetta TDI commuter

Have you ever tried Zaino?

I was a die-hard Girots and McGuire's person until I tried the Zaino line (www.zainostore.com). Late last year they introduced a product which is specifically designed for removing swirls easily. I plan on getting it this year before starting the spring detail (with the claybar). If anyone has questions, just ask. I would recommend checking out their website - it's a long and worthwhile read. If you have questions you can contact them via phone or email. I been able to talk to the owner (Sal) on occation.

I've only used their products for three years, but I've been very impressed with the results.

Brian

A follow-up to my earlier email

You can apply Zaino by hand (acutally it's preferred over machine application).

Brian

It appears

as though my earlier email is slated for review by the moderator.

Check back soon....

Thread Information