Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Red 2000 528it w/sport package

Thread: Red 2000 528it w/sport package

Red 2000 528it w/sport package

I am considering purchasing a red 2000 528it from a dealer in Annapolis, and I noticed the car had a BMW CCA sticker on it. The car is red with black interior, and it also has M5 wheels. The VIN is WBADP6348YBV65799. Does anyone know who used to own this car? I have a E36, but I don't know much about the E39's. Is there anything that I should be looking for when purchasing?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1830857097_220168640_IM1_MAIN_565x421_A_562x421.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	247  

Reliable...

According to many (including Edmunds.com), the e39 an outstanding vehicle...guess what I drive!

Visit this site.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=202

There are many links to resources (i.e., tips/upgrades/diy), owner feedback, maintenance information thereon.

By the way, it is not to very often one finds/sees a red e39 Sport wagon!

Good luck.

those are m5 wheels? maybe it is just the angle, but don't look like it in the pic.

E39 is great, but I guess has it's flaws like most cars. What I have discovered to be weak and fairly expensive is the cooling system and the double VANOS (which you should have in that 2000 model). The VANOS seemingly has a seal that wears and makes the whole VANOS unit act up, esp at cold start where it drops rpms or even kills the engine. I think I might have that issue in mine. And you can't just replace the seal, since BMW only sells the whole VANOS unit. The car might have less power but runs normal otherwise. The cooling system just seems poor in general with the expansion tank and all that. If the car has had repairs in the cooling system you are in good shape, if not put it on your budget for the future.

Also some minor things that i have discovered many E39's have an issue with:
    - fan control (final stage resistor). the fan speed is going crazy and not according to the set control. Easy fix under $100.
    - Leaky power steering reservoir. Either where the hose connects under the tank or the lid. If it's the lid its only $20. The hose might be a few DIY hours, but ok.
    - Driveshaft CV joint. Mine has a ring to it when I put it in D. Something it seems like I am not the onlyone experiencing. might actually turn out to be expensive.
    - Broken pixels in the displays in dashboard. Either stereo or computer tends to loose pixels.

And I guess it goes for most BMW to check for any vibrations while driving. Might not be something serious I guess (I've hear E39 are sensitive to tire pressure), but the car seems to let you know whenever even a tiny part is not in order.

Among many links I just recently discovered this: http://www.e38.org/e39/ and I also like bimmerfest.com's forum.

Red E39 with sport package (shadowline!) is great! but i agree with mlytle that it doesnt look from the picture that its M5 wheels. And even if they were, I dont think you could get them in that polish. I had some replica E39 M5 wheels on my E34 in Norway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2IBX8NN7OM) but they were crappy! paint started falling off and stuff..

I do not recognize that particular car, but the e39 wagon is an awesome family machine. We used to have a 2001 525iT. Good handling, quiet, comfortable, and will cruise at well above the posted speed limits with complete confidence.

My wife and I both miss that car. We traded it in on an 2004 Audi A6 Allroad so we could have something that was better in the snow here in Colorado. Mistake. The Audi is a piece of junk compared to an e39. We are now waiting for the 530xi wagons to start coming off of lease. Once they get in our price range, the Audi is gone!

If you watch out for the issues that Scany identified (especially the water pump), it is an great car.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Thread Information