Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Installing Aux Audio Input Kit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing Aux Audio Input Kit

Installing Aux Audio Input Kit

Hello all,

I just purchased the Aux Audio Input Kit and will be attempting my second DIY project.

According to the Bentley Service Manual, all I need to do is remove the volume knob and the hidden hex head screw. After that, I should be able to remove the radio and access the harness.

Question: Is there a way to route the cable part of the Aux Audio Input Kit into the passenger side of the car without drilling a hole in the panel/interior. The instructions that came with the kit recommends drilling a hole in the glove box. I am not in favor of this approach as I plan to connect the cable to my navi (Mio c310x) which has a built in MP3 player.

By the way, this project is for my 03 E39 Sport.

Thanks.

Wow.

No one has done this or something similar?

How do you all send music from your iPod to the car's speakers?

I have the kit - had to drill a hole in the little compartment above the cig lighter - to get the wire out. Works great.

I dont know of anyway to have this done without the hole though.

E46 M3 BTW.

Thanks.

I may have to do the same thing. Hopefully, any hole I make will not look crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by wnelms View Post
    I may have to do the same thing. Hopefully, any hole I make will not look crappy!

I am sure you already thought of this - if you drill a hole in any compartment - drill it close to the ceiling of the compartment - less chances of you ever seeing it or feeling it - and therefore after sometime you wont even know it exists.

Before you drill it check the hardware store. I imaginge you could probably use some kind of grommet or an eyelet to put in the hole. You could probably match it to the trim color, and make it look more OEM? Just a thought.

Having installed two Dice iPod

units last summer (BMW/VW) I would avise to carefully review and consider just where and how you intend to install the aux kit. (i.e how are you using it? will the passenger use it? will you keep the mp3 (or similiar) unit in the vehicle full time? etc. etc.) Also, make sure you have the proper tools for removing interior trim pieces and for tying into the electrical system, etc. I spent several hours considering how I wanted the unit stowed in both cars and how to make the installations as stealth as possible. Then I spent time considering how best to install the unit.

I would suggest looking at a couple of other BMW forum sites to see how other people have installed the same unit in the same or similiar vehicle. The work done by some of them is pretty amazing - also, its best to learn from others trials and mistakes.

If you want some links, PM me (not sure of the forum rules here).

This type of install is definitely a "measure three times and cut once" exercise.

Take your time and think it through - it will be worth the extra time in the end.

Brian

I truly appreciate all the advice!

If I have to drill or create a hole, I plan to do it as far under the dashboard as possible. Preferrable in the carpet on the passenger side. My first choice is to route the cable of the kit through any small opening between the glove box and my last choice is to create a hole on front of the console.

I hope to mount the base that will hold the navi, either on the dash or wideshield. This will be determined after I identify a suitable spot for cable.

With regard to removing the plastic trim, I recently purchased a set of plastic tools from Bavarian Autosport made for this specific purpose (ie., removing interior components).

If any one has any related pix or links, please forward that information to w.nelms@yahoo.com.

Wish my luck the weekend is almost here!

I had issues!

My attempt to install the Aux Audio Kit was hindered today. According to the BMW instructions that came with the Kit, there should only be 2 existing terminals in use on the 12 pin connector. I had 5! See pictures below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4122.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	245

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4121.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	246

In addition to Sport, my E39 is equipped with Prem and Cold packages. I think the 3 additional wires running to the 12 pin connector are associated with the pre-installed kits for the CD changer and car phone.

Can you help?

Does anyone have access to a map or dictionary for the 12 pin connector associated with the 03 E39 radio harness?

I need to install the wires from Aux Audio Input Kit into the 12 pin connector but I do not know which empty ports to use. I even tried to remove what I thought were the wires for the CD changer and car phone pre-install kits, and I had no luck.
    Last edited by wnelms; 03-31-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Maybe completely unrelated - but the way I had the kit installed in my car was

1. Unplug CD Changer on the back
    2. Instead of the Changer plug in the long replacement cable that came with the kit - that needs to run all the way to the front of the cabin.
    3. The unit which sits in front of the cabin is thus receiving power and controls instead of the CD changer
    4. A separate wire from the unit then comes into the cabin for the iPod

Also with drilling a hole in the passenger side carpet - be sure to ensure that you do have enough length of cable to have the iPod reach the driver's (your) hands - left - if you are left handed. If it is the same kit that I have - then its not really that long.

The Latest!

I went to the dealer today. No luck. What a surprise!

I received the party line...proprietory information.

They were only willing to install the kit for approximately $200 not help me "trouble shot" the problem.

This is the same answer I received when my Viper alarm caused my car not to start one morning about a year ago.
    Last edited by wnelms; 04-06-2007 at 10:16 PM.

wnelms

Please check your yahoo email.

Brian

Did anyone figure out the wiring for the Aux audio input?

Hi all!

I bought the kit yesterday and ran into the same problem as wnelms when trying to connect it. My 12-pin connector already had the following:
    1- Brown -> ?
    2- Red -> ?
    3- Gray -> ?
    4- Yellow/Gray -> ?
    5- [Empty]
    6- [Empty]

7- [Empty]
    8- Purple -> Ground ?
    9- [Empty]
    10- [Empty]
    11- [Empty]
    12- [Empty]

It looks exactly like the picture posted here by wnelms

My Auxiliary Audio Input kit comes with 3 wires:
    Red --> Right (or is it left?)
    Blue --> Left (or maybe it's right...)
    Brown --> Ground

The only thing I could figure so far is that slot #12 may be another ground and a good place to plug my Brown wire.

Did someone find out how to connect it properly? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by sloutre; 09-30-2007 at 11:30 AM.

If you figure this out any chance you can share your wisdom. I have the kit because it was fairly inexpensive but haven't even began to attempt the installation. It would be great to get some clear direction/assistance.

Jonathan

Wait

a minute - not to sell the Dice kits, but I've installed two of them (one BMW and one non-BMW). You should really bite the bullet and use these kits. In additon to their installation (which is easy) and their tech help (which is amazing) the kit charges the iPod as well (meaning that it will not run out of juice on a long trip (especially if you passenger is watching video).

If you're using an iPod it's the only was to go.

Yea it costs more but the kit goes in easy and there is no drilling required. The BMW Aux kit is less than $100 and the Dice is (was) around $150. For an extra $50 I had both kits installed in less than one day with no trips to Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc. to finish the job. That along is worth more the $50. A swapped the cupholder center console part with a "eurotray" in my E46 and you can't see anything (even the iPod).

Regards,
    Brian

Thread Information