Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Scenic Route to Spartanburg?

Thread: Scenic Route to Spartanburg?

Scenic Route to Spartanburg?

I'm heading to Spartanburg for the M Track day on 3/31, and was wondering if there are any particular stretches of road that justify a little detour along the way.

I'd hate to just set the cruise at 69.5 and count Waffle Houses for 8 hours, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by vagabond; 03-26-2007 at 03:22 PM.

I suppose you can take the Blue Ridge Parkway some distance.
    Route 29 will run down to Greensboro then follow 85/29.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

It depends on how much time you have and whether you want to stay off the interstates.

The "normal" route for the NCC group to get to Spartanburg is:
    66W to 81S to 77S to 85S.

An all highway alternative is:
    66W to 81S to 26S to 85S. The stretch of I-26 runs through the mountains of NC and takes you through Asheville, NC. It's a really nice stretch of road, but will add about 45 minutes to the trip.

Another alternative would be:
    66W to US29S (at Gainesville). Take 29S through Danville, VA and proceed to Greensboro, NC. At Greensboro, you pick either 40W to 77S to 85S or you can catch 85S directly from Greensboro.

If you really want to take some time, do as Steven suggested and jump over to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Have fun.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

Quote Originally Posted by Rafgar View Post
    If you really want to take some time, do as Steven suggested and jump over to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
    And maybe he can take a load of boxes down for me.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

As long as they fit in the back of an E46 convertible and the goods aren't fragile, I'd be glad to help you out. I'm leaving early Friday morning. Thanks for the advice, guys. Hope all's well in GA, Raf.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    As long as they fit in the back of an E46 convertible and the goods aren't fragile, I'd be glad to help you out. I'm leaving early Friday morning. Thanks for the advice, guys. Hope all's well in GA, Raf.
    I was joking but I will be heading down there in a few months.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I heard on the news recently that parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway were still closed due downed trees, etc from a winter storm. If it's open, I recommend getting off I-81 at Exit 191, take US 60 east to Buena Vista, then 501 south to the intersection of the BRP. 501 has great twists and turns as it follows the James River. Then the BRP south past Peaks of Otter and drop down Rt 43 to get back on I-81 at Buchanan.

If the BRP is closed, just get off I-81 at Buchanan (Exit 167?) and go up and back down 43. I've done this little diversion from I-81 many times just to get the adrenalin flowing. Signs will warn you that Rt. 43 is not for trucks or trailers.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thread Information