March 19, 2007

BMW’s 328i reclaimed the top spot among medium sport sedans in Car and Driver (April) after being knocked off the perch two years back. CD says it’s the 111th 3 Series review since a December 1976 320i review.
All’s well with the world again: BMW’s 3 Series sedan once again stands as the pinnacle of sports sedan performance in the eyes of Car and Driver. In the most recent showdown between BMW and the Infiniti G35 Sport, “Winds of Change? (Car and Driver, April 2007),” the 328i came away with a 223-216 victory (out of 250 possible points). “The G35 scores points for comfort, capable moves, and thrust in surplus, but BMW still builds the best tools for driving,” CD concluded. The 3 Series sedan is a perennial 10Best winner in the magazine’s annual year-end staff poll of top cars. But the last time the two faced off, in March 2004, as part of a seven-sedan comparison, for the same amount of money, Infiniti delivered 260 hp to just 184 hp for the Bimmer, and “those 76 horses were enough to pull the G over the top.”

More...