Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Tech stuff...

Thread: Tech stuff...

Tech stuff...

These questions were sent to me by an individual through our club, please feel free to chime in concerning any knowledge you might have to help this individual, thanks in advance...

I have three concerns regarding a '06 325 convertible (E46).

The first is with wheel replacement. My experience with soft alloy wheels is that they tend to stick to the steel hubs and removal can take quite alot of effort. I had this problem with our '97 540i. It was an experience that I did not have on a ''76 2002, a '82 528e, or a '83 320i. BMW NA pooh-poohed my concern as they rested on "the dealer will change your tires for free." I am concerned with having to change a tire on the road where I will not have either the dealer's expertise or the right tools to persuade the wheel to separate from the hub. I understand why the two metals bond, because of galvanic action which results in corrosion.

So the question is this: How can we forestall the galvanic corrosion or how can we, as BMW CCA, get BMW to provide a fix? In my humble opinion, it is a design flaw of the worst kind and never should have left the drawing board.

The second is with the installation of a burglar alarm. One was not installed. The dealer wants about $500 to do the job. I saw an ad in "The Roundel" from another BMW dealer who is selling the unit for the E46 convertible for $150. It must be coded and plugged in.

My question is: If I buy it, how can I get the unit coded for a reasonable price as well as have someone show me where to plug it in?

The third has to do with the remote control keys. The car must have sat for some time, because both my wife and I have had to get closer and closer to the car for the remote to work. The dealer told me that the non-removable, rechargeable battery is running down and, should it drain completely, the keys must either be replaced or re-coded (I can't remember which or at what price, as I lost it when they said non-removeable). The only other option, per the Owner's Manual, is the battery will recharge but one must drive the car on a long trip! Neither of us mind locking or unlocking the car manually, but some of the other features of the remote are desirable. A storage battery is easy to replace and neither of us would mind doing so.

My question is: How can we get BMW to mend their ways? Another design flub, in my humble opinion.

Thanks, in advance , for your help.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Banned
    Just put some anti seize on the hub. And on the lug bolts. No big deal. Never was an issue with my E30 when running schools since I was changing tires every 60 days or so.

And it isnt that difficult to break the wheel loose. If you cant break the wheel loose with the car on a jack with your feet then you really need
    to build up those legs.

Making BMW fix it aint going to happen.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    The second is with the installation of a burglar alarm. One was not installed. The dealer wants about $500 to do the job. I saw an ad in "The Roundel" from another BMW dealer who is selling the unit for the E46 convertible for $150. It must be coded and plugged in.

My question is: If I buy it, how can I get the unit coded for a reasonable price as well as have someone show me where to plug it in?

I bought my alarm for my E46 from BMW of Towson (read Bill) . Installed it myself - very easy to do - comes with instructions, or you can look at bimmerdiy.com/e46.

BMW of Towson (read Bill) then activated it for me for no charge.

But given that Bill is no longer there I do not know if they would still do that.

1) Put anti-seize on the hub. I wouldn't put it on the lug bolts as you most likely wouldn't be able to apply the right amount of torque when tightening. Barring that, loosen the lug bolts enough for the conical seat of the bolt to separate from the wheel. Then raise and lower the car. The weight of the car should be enough to break the wheel free. Otherwise, with the lug bolts on but slightly loose, drive the car a few feet.

2) You will have to install the alarm before it can be coded. There are instructions posted on various BMW forums regarding alarm installation in convertibles. Try www.bimmerfest.com, www.e46fanatics.com or www.bimmerforums.com for DIY instructions. You can also do a google search. Expect to pay between 1/2 to 1 hour labor for activation.

3) I've had keys that still work after sitting around unused for over 6 months. I doubt that is the cause of your problem. Most likely, it is a result of radio interference. I've had days when I've come out of work and unlocked the car from half a football field away. Other times, I'd be lucky to get a third of that distance. One trick that works is to touch the metal part of the key to the bottom of you chin when using the remote. This dramatically increases range.
    If a key stops working, inserting it into the ignition and starting the car should get it to work again. Otherwise, I believe there is a reinitialization procedure that you can go through. Again, check the message boards listed above. There isn't a need for you to go to the dealer for this.

Cool

Thanks fella's I've copied your answers and sent them to the person who originally posed the questions. President Roy copied me on an email from an individual asking the aforementioned questions. I just wanted to make sure I was tapping the club technical brain-tank to provide the absolute best answers. Appreciate you guys, Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    One trick that works is to touch the metal part of the key to the bottom of you chin when using the remote. This dramatically increases range.
    BTW just wanted to say - this is one of the best tips I have picked up ever!!

Was in the office and couldnt remember if I had locked the car - luckily the window in the building 3 floors up was facing the car though QUITE a few feet away from the car.

Worked like a charm!

Thank you!

Thread Information