Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
TRANSMISSION NEEDED - 2000 BMW 323i w/ MANUMATIC SPORT MODE

Thread: TRANSMISSION NEEDED - 2000 BMW 323i w/ MANUMATIC SPORT MODE

TRANSMISSION NEEDED - 2000 BMW 323i w/ MANUMATIC SPORT MODE

Vehicle Model: 2000 BMW 323i 4DR (E46)

I own a 2000 BMW 323i and it's reverse gear simply stopped working recently? I was told by two mechanics that I need to replace the entire transmission, meaning, it cannot be "rebuilt" given that it is one complete housing or something like that??

I need help. Does anyone have any sound advice regarding reverse gears and getting them fixed on a 2000 BMW 323i??

If I cannot get it "fixed" which I believe is the case, then it will be necessary for me to purchase a used/refurbished transmission. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this?? How about labor?

Anyone, please respond with any helpful suggestions...where to find a used/refurbished tranny'? Best place to get it worked on near Arlington, VA or Springfield, VA??

All comments and suggestions welcomed...

-Mycoal_2006@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by mycoal_2006 View Post
    Vehicle Model: 2000 BMW 323i 4DR (E46)

I own a 2000 BMW 323i and it's reverse gear simply stopped working recently? I was told by two mechanics that I need to replace the entire transmission, meaning, it cannot be "rebuilt" given that it is one complete housing or something like that??

I need help. Does anyone have any sound advice regarding reverse gears and getting them fixed on a 2000 BMW 323i??

If I cannot get it "fixed" which I believe is the case, then it will be necessary for me to purchase a used/refurbished transmission. Any ideas on what I should expect to pay for this?? How about labor?

Anyone, please respond with any helpful suggestions...where to find a used/refurbished tranny'? Best place to get it worked on near Arlington, VA or Springfield, VA??

All comments and suggestions welcomed...

-Mycoal_2006@yahoo.com
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=reverse+323i

I am pretty sure that automatics can be rebuilt, it's the manual once that no one will touch. You can get a used transmission from a forum or a recycling place via ebay/direct. You can also get a fully rebuilt one which will likely run slightly more.

A quick search on ebay and you can get a used one for ~1.3k.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    I am pretty sure that automatics can be rebuilt, it's the manual once that no one will touch. You can get a used transmission from a forum or a recycling place via ebay/direct. You can also get a fully rebuilt one which will likely run slightly more.

A quick search on ebay and you can get a used one for ~1.3k.
    I don't think a used one is optimal as there was a design flaw with these older models and you will just find yourself replacing it again in short order. Spending the money for a rebuilt one with the corrected design will give you a better shot at longevity. Please read thread link above.

I agree w/ chicane

I have the same car (year, model) as you, and my transmission crapped itself at about 85k - it started w/ the reverse gear, and 1st stopped working shortly after that. You should get a new one installed (or do it yourself) - one advantage of getting it installed is that many dealers offer permanent free replacement if your transmission were to die again.

But, I feel your pain - that's a good size hit to the ol' bank account
    Last edited by Dirichlet; 03-14-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    I don't think a used one is optimal as there was a design flaw with these older models and you will just find yourself replacing it again in short order. Spending the money for a rebuilt one with the corrected design will give you a better shot at longevity. Please read thread link above.
    Absolutely, I was just naming all the options. It's always better to get a rebuilt one. Too bad it's so pricey for the auto guys, manual ZFs go for 300-500 every day.

Whoa, what a scary thread. I just had flashbacks to my time as a VW owner.

Cool

I have a 00 323i and my manual transmission crapped out at 155,000 miles just after my clutch crapped out at 150,000. I took it to Sports & Imports in Cheaspeake, VA and paid a total of 1622.00 cash on the barrel-head to get a rebuilt transmission. I've now just passed the 220,000 mile mark with no issues concerning my rebuilt tranny. Just my two and a half cents worth. Happy Motoring...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thread Information