Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Summer Tire Advice
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Tire Advice

Summer Tire Advice

Since - people want to close down the winter tire thread for the season figured this would be a good time for me to get people's opinions on what they feel might be a good summer tire to have.

I have had winters (17" Dunlop SP Sport Winter 3D) on my E46 M3 and am now looking to change back to my summer setup with 19".

I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my wheels - and can't say I had any complaints. I felt I had pretty decent traction for my non track spririted driving. I cant say anything about the road noise - because again that was normal to me as I didnt have any comparison basis.

But these tires are pretty much gone and I need a new set.
    My setup if I remember correctly is
    Front: 245/35/19 Rear: 275/30/19 (will have to check the tires at home)

I have looked at tire rack (read the reviews), I know I can go talk to Sam (radial tire) - but I was just wondering how varied the choices of people around here is - or do we actually have a consistent winner.

Thanks All!

Pranu

I love the Hankook RS-2 Z212 as a summer street tire, but it depends what you're looking for in a summer tire. They're cheap, are great in the rain, and give me great performance for what they are. I'm also doubtful their sizes go that high.

If price were no object for me, I'd probably go with the Yokohama AD07. The Hankooks I have are pretty similar to the AD07s.

Price wise - I guess no matter which tire I look at I am getting close to or slightly above the $1000 mark for a set of 4.

The Goodyears if I were to go for them again would be 1132 from Tire Rack) - I guess I would like to keep it around that ballpark. Doubt there would be others FAR MORE expensive than that. But then again I have been known to be way off in my estimates

Expensive - Michelin PSII

Cheap - Kumho Ecsta SPT

blizzak ws-50's!!!

Banned
    Actually Sam is sking this week. I would check Manny, Mo and Jack's weekly circular and go with the 80000 mile house brand tire in your size.
    Something in a nice 80 series.

Always thought Pep Boys should be the supplier of a nice hard slow tire
    for drivers scools. A tire students can learn car control on.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    Cheap - Kumho Ecsta SPT
    Why not the Kumho MXs? They are their highest performance (as far as I know) tire and it's dirt cheap as well. It's very highly praised on bimmerforums for track/autox use.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Why not the Kumho MXs? They are their highest performance (as far as I know) tire and it's dirt cheap as well. It's very highly praised on bimmerforums for track/autox use.
    We are talking about a daily driver tire. The MX may be a marginally better dry tire but the SPT is better in the rain, will be more quiet on the highway, and has better tread life.

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    We are talking about a daily driver tire. The MX may be a marginally better dry tire but the SPT is better in the rain, will be more quiet on the highway, and has better tread life.
    He does drive a M3 I have a fresh set of MXs on my e36 M3 which will see their first event this weekend. I've been running Micheline PS1 up until now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    He does drive a M3 I have a fresh set of MXs on my e36 M3 which will see their first event this weekend. I've been running Micheline PS1 up until now.
    yes I do drive a M3 - but I am scared of tracking/autocrossing it - so haven't mustered up the courage of attending any events yet. Every year I get the complete checkup done with the intent of signing up for something - but chicken out at the last minute.

Now if the tire does help at events and is a decent daily driver type tire - thats great - but otherwise daily driver with decent wet response would be nice.

Of course from all the other responses here I seem to see no two people prefer the same tire

How are you liking the PS1s? I did read up on the PSIIs and while they are $$$$ they seem to have the praise from people backing the $$$$. I wonder if one can make a comparison between the PS Is and the PS IIs.

Also - for my education - what should I be looking for in the sidewall of a tire? FYI - I have PSS9s as my suspension - set to be a bit on the stiffer side.

I did have a crack in my rim last year while I had the goodyear eagle F1's on. While I try to avoid city driving as much as possible - it does happen regularly. Does a softer sidewall allow for more flex and therefore protect the rims more or does a harder side wall take impacts better? Should I even be worry about this - i.e.. is the difference in the tires hardly noticeable?

I have no experience with PSIIs, but I hear nothing but good things about them. PS1s were pretty darn good, but I wouldn't pay for them again. Honestly, there are many excellent choices in the "ultra high performance" segment that will run you a fraction of the cost of bridgestones or michelines with equal and often better performance. From what I read the tires of choice for many DE/Autox guys are Kumho MX and Falken RT-615.

You might be looking for something in a slightly different segment though.

From your description, like bren said, I'd go with the Kumho SPT. You may also consider the Toyo T1R. They are both great summer tires.

The Bridgestone RE050A-PP might be another option. It at least appears to be significantly cheaper than the S03-PP it replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by pranu View Post
    I did have a crack in my rim last year while I had the goodyear eagle F1's on. While I try to avoid city driving as much as possible - it does happen regularly. Does a softer sidewall allow for more flex and therefore protect the rims more or does a harder side wall take impacts better? Should I even be worry about this - i.e.. is the difference in the tires hardly noticeable?
    What tire pressures do u normally run?

-- Jason

I drive an M3 also

PSI are crap, the SPT is a far better tire. I also agree with the T1-R as a second "cheap" option.

Soft or stiff, there isn't really enough sidewall to help with impacts. You just need to slow down and watch out in the city.
    Last edited by bren; 03-15-2007 at 07:55 AM.

Thread Information