Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Winter Tire Advice

Thread: Winter Tire Advice

Winter Tire Advice

Hi Everyone:

I recently purchased a 1999 328ic (225/50R16/96V) recently and was wondering if someone could recommend a good winter wheel/tire for this area.

I noticed a thread from 2004 that recommended Blizzak LM-22, Dunlop M3, or the Conti TS series. Is this still the case? I also noticed a wheel/tire package on http://www.bavauto.com (Package consists of 4 - Hakkapeliitta 2 tires mounted on 4 factory BMW steel wheels) but this seem a little $$$.

Thanks

Joe

Banned
    Go see Sam at Radial Tire in the fall. Get some Vredstein snows and he can set you up with wheels too. Nad your cost will be less than Tire Rip Off. Dont wait until Late Nov or Dec who he might not have anything left.
    Michelins makes great snows I have Latitude Ices on my Element but Vredstein's are as good at lower cost. Vredstein's ahve excellent dry weayher handling which Blizzak's usally lack.

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    TireRack generally has better prices than BavAuto. Although they don't seem to have any steel wheels in stock right now. I'd go with 15" steel wheels and get the BMW wheel covers from a dealer or BavAuto. That's what I have on the E36/5.

If you're staying in the area and not heading into the mountains into deep snow on a regular basis, stick with one of the ice-oriented or winter performance oriented tires. You'll give up a little deep snow traction, but they'll be fine in the usual slush / light snow / ice. I've have the Michelin X-Ice on two vehicles, and while they're not performance oriented, they're good in the slick stuff. Stay away from the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (other Blizzak models may be okay) unless you want your BMW to handle like a Buick LeSabre.

Vic

Visit my Team-In-Training Website at
    http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/vjmvjmvjm
    i have the blizzak ws-50's on my wife's e46 325it. they are not anywhere near as bad as portrayed above. you shouldn't "stay away from them". they are outstanding in snow/ice/slush. i have them on steel wheels from tirerack. highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    i have the blizzak ws-50's on my wife's e46 325it. they are not anywhere near as bad as portrayed above. you shouldn't "stay away from them". they are outstanding in snow/ice/slush. i have them on steel wheels from tirerack. highly recommended.
    I absolutely hate the WS-50 on dry. Great in snow though. Better than the Vredstens.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I've been running Dunlop Wintersport M3s for 3 winters now and love them love them love them. They are one of the more "sportier" winter tires out there. Lets face it, in the 4 months I've had them on here in Baltimore we've only had snow like 3 times. All three times I had absolutely no problem getting out. *I* think that those type tires are the best for our region. I am not willing to sacrifice "spirited" and comfortable daily driving for 3-4 months out of the year to compete with SUVs in the best in snow traction category.

My advice is to either source a used package from here or bimmerforums or put one together yourself. Chances are that will be much cheaper for you than anywhere else.
    Last edited by ChosenGSR; 03-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Go see Sam at Radial Tire in the fall. Get some Vredstein snows and he can set you up with wheels too. Nad your cost will be less than Tire Rip Off. Dont wait until Late Nov or Dec who he might not have anything left.
    Michelins makes great snows I have Latitude Ices on my Element but Vredstein's are as good at lower cost. Vredstein's ahve excellent dry weayher handling which Blizzak's usally lack.

Dave Apker
    Have you priced Vredsteins lately Dave? I think it was discussed here earlier this season, but the Vredstein snows have gone up so much in price Paul says it's hard to justify carrying them.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post
    The WS-50 is excellent in snow / slush / ice. But back to back on the same car, the Michelin X-Ice is just as good in bad weather and handles much better in the dry. My wife won't even drive our truck with the WS-50s. They're aren't too bad if you keep the tire pressures on the high side.

Just my two cents. YMMV. OAC.

Vic
    i don't care too much about the dry handling. they sit in a stack in the garage. when the forecast says snow, it takes me maybe 10 min with a jack and an impact gun to put them on. snow goes by, they come back off. not enough snow around here to leave snows of any brand on all winter.

I've had the same Blizzak WS-50s on my car from around Thanksgiving to mid-March the past three years, and I cannot say a bad thing about them. There may be a dry performance tradeoff compared to other snow tires, but I don't mind in winter. They get me to work and to the slopes when I need them to, so I'll highly recommend them.

I run 205/60/15 Blizzaks on 15" bottlecaps during winter, and IMO this setup is ideal for E36 non-Ms.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

I have Blizzak LM-25 winter tires on my 330i. They do well in the snow and are better than the WS-50s in the dry. A nice tire, but a little pricey.

We have WS-50s on the Audi Allroad and that thing is virtually unstoppable in the snow (at least the snow we get here in the Denver area). With that said, we can't wait for the winter season to be over so we can put the Pilot Sports back on it.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

ahh, sunny an 60deg this weekend....may this thread go into hibernation until next winter!!!!

You can say that again! I had good traction this morning

Thread Information