Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
need help finding Top Dead Center

Thread: need help finding Top Dead Center

need help finding Top Dead Center

i have an 87 e30 that i would like to adjust the valves on. however, i can't figure out how to check to make sure that cylinder number 1 is at TDC without having access to the camshaft timing sprocket (which is located behind the timing belt cover). i know that the O/T mark on the crankshaft pulley timing wheel needs to be aligned at the same time to ensure that cylinder number 6 isn't at TDC and not cylinder number 1.

could someone who is showing up to the tech session at Funktion show me how to do this or some other way to check that cylinder 1 is at TDC.

thanks,
    jim

you can look for a mark on the crank pulley for a TDC mark. this only means crank is TDC. to see if #1 is TDC, look at the cam lobes. all the valves should be closed on #1
    95 M3, 6-speed, 3.73
    Extensive weight reduction
    Website

pull spark plug and stick a really long screwdriver down into the cylinder. slowly rotate engine until you find the point that the screw driver stops coming "up" and the valves are the right open/closed configuration.

put a mark on the screwdriver at the high point. you now have a special tool for finding out when all the rest of the cyl's are at the same point....

beats pulling the timing belt cover! thanks, much.

jim

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...iming-Belt.htm

If you haven't gotten it yet, you should be able to find it here. Plenty of good E30 maint. tips.

Best way to know when valve cover is off is when # 6 cylinder is on overlap. Hope this helps

dan

thanks to all. i think i can nuke it out now. if not, i shouldn't be messing around under the hood! now, how to actually adjust the valves.... just kidding.

jim

Thumbs up Valves?

WHY TDC ? Adjust your clearances as each cam lobe is opposite the rocker, pushing car in 5th gear works best, write down each # as you progress, or you'll lose track!

Thread Information