Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
X3 v. X5

Thread: X3 v. X5

X3 v. X5

My wife wants to turn in her Z4 b/c she HATES commuting with me during inclement weather and wants her own AWD or SAV, no to mention she's over the roadster thing [I think her midlife crisis thing is over]. I park my 330CiC and drive my Expedtion when it rains or hints of snow. I have been pushing the 328Xi but she mentioned an X3. But what about an X5? Can anyone tell me the REAL differance between the X3 and X5?
    Thanks.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Banned
    Have you tried snow tires on her Z4? She will be amazed at the difference 4 snow tires and a 100lb of sand make in the trunk.

I would buy a 2007 Tahoe before I would purchased either a X3 or X5 and the Tahoe will be more reliable. If you need a lot room for storageand dont drive off road will do at vasty inflated price. I looked at the X3 and X5 before purchasing my Element. I needed room to haul muddy collies back and forth from lessons and trials and neither would do. X5 is a little bigger and has slightly more room and you have choice of engines. My sis's Tahoe gets 17mpg going back and forth to train station in Bristol. And has more room behind the 2nd seat then both X3 and X5 combined. For significantly less money check out a CRV or RAV4.

Before purchasing either a X3 or X5 check out the maintenance costs after the BMW's free service expires. Check the costs of a brake job and major service.

It snows in the DC area maybe 5 at the most 10 days a year. I have lived in the area for all of my 47yo. And for most of the snow days a Z4 with Vredstein snows will get you by. I had a E30325i for 16 DC winters and could get through 10inches of snow with a lowered car. And with no DSC or traction control just a LSD. On some commutes home in snow some LSD would have helped.

Also remember AWD is only an advantage in a straight line and does nothing for braking or handling.

I saved signifcant money buying an Element. Although I really should have bought that 93 Land Rover Defender 110 in concours shape for $33k back in July. Man one just sold at BarrettJackson for $80k

You wife will enjoy the higher driver position in an X however they are more difficult to park and you have to pay attention when the wind picks up.

Dave Apker

snow tires on any bmw are far more cost effective than buying an awd suv. my wife's rwd 325it get 4 snows every winter. the car is better in the snow than my old 4wd suburban. the little car kicks butt, and is much cheaper and easier to own than an suv.

speaking of the 325it...why bother with the x3 or x5? way overrated for what you get. the 3 and 5 series wagons, oops i mean "tourings", are better in every on-road way. you can even get a awd version if you must.

marshall

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Before purchasing either a X3 or X5 check out the maintenance costs after the BMW's free service expires. Check the costs of a brake job and major service.
    Also remember AWD is only an advantage in a straight line and does nothing for braking or handling.
    Dave Apker
    A few more details. My wife leases her cars so every 3 years it's a new one; good for her and better for me! Therefore, maintenance cost after warranty is not an issue. Also, I have an Expedition for my 4x4 off road stuff that I do in North Carolina. See Below.

It snows in the DC area maybe 5 at the most 10 days a year. I have lived in the area for all of my 47yo. And for most of the snow days a Z4 with Vredstein snows will get you by. I had a E30325i for 16 DC winters and could get through 10inches of snow with a lowered car. And with no DSC or traction control just a LSD. On some commutes home in snow some LSD would have helped.

Also remember AWD is only an advantage in a straight line and does nothing for braking or handling. Dave Apker
    I grew up by Annapolis and am also familiar w/ the winters in this region. She just wants to be more independant on those days b/c our works schedules do not jive very well [she's an attorney but I work in IT for a large lawfrim]. I usually work MUCH longer hours than she. The thought of driving the Expedition makes her very, very anxious. She likes her little Z4 but the lease ends in a month; no need to invest in tires and rims.

You wife will enjoy the higher driver position in an X however they are more difficult to park and you have to pay attention when the wind picks up. Dave Apker
    That what she was thinking. We had a '95 Explorer and she liked that. That is why she thought of the X3. I agree, that's a lot of money for something I probably will not use as a 4x4. Then again, I usually laugh at the BMW's, Benzes, and Porche's I see on the OBX and laugh even harder when they get stuck! OK, I'm not that cruel; I do stop to help dig and yank them out. I always toss them my shovel and say "You dig a trench behind each wheel while I get the rope and set up my hitch." Works like a charm; I don't have to dig.
    Thank you, Dave. I appreciate the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    snow tires on any bmw are far more cost effective than buying an awd suv. my wife's rwd 325it get 4 snows every winter. the car is better in the snow than my old 4wd suburban. the little car kicks butt, and is much cheaper and easier to own than an suv.
    speaking of the 325it...why bother with the x3 or x5? way overrated for what you get. the 3 and 5 series wagons, oops i mean "tourings", are better in every on-road way. you can even get a awd version if you must.
    marshall
    Thanks, Marshal. As I noted above, the lease expires in a month. Hmmm...mid-winter and looking at a SAV??? Not smart money, if you know what I mean.

Tom
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Banned
    Does it have to be a BMW? Have her take a look at CRV or RAV4. Or maybe the new RDX by Acura? The Lexus RX just kind of floats along.
    I would take the RDX over the X3 anyday or X5. Easy to park too.

She is going to miss her roadster on that first really nice day in March.
    Snow tires and cheap wheels from Radial Tire may still be the best option
    for her with a 2007 Z4.

Or you can go with a G500 from Mercedes or a LR3 since she leases.

Another vehicle she should test drive is new GMC Acadia. My brother really liked it since he needs to get rid of his 3 series and get something to haul his Malinios to agility trials. He never even considered the X3 or X5.
    And his independent BMW shop refuses to work on X3s and X5s.

Good snow tires are worthwhile investment. No seasons jsut dont provide the security in snow etc.

Dave Apker and collies( can we get a new Defender when it goes on sale)

Honda Pilot? Or my favorite the flying toaster the Honda Element 4wd.

Must it be a BMW? Short story is 'No'. She supported me while I was in grad school and driving a MB 300SD while her car was a Dodge Shadow. I want her to have nice cars and I am fond of German engineering.
    I've also been looking at the 328xi. Sad thing is both the 328xi and X5 are about the same price after I optioned them out...~$46K and ~$48k respectively. A boat load of money.
    Funny thing is, I think she would really like the sedan w/ moon roof oppsed to the roadster. My rule of thumb is: If is above 30 degrees, the top goes down. It's rather envigorating driving in chilly weather w/ the top down.
    And his independent BMW shop refuses to work on X3s and X5s.
    Wow.
    The Benz G500 is WAAAY overboard.
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Banned
    The reason is to save his back. Lifting the wheels and tires on and off a X3 or X5 several times a day isnt good for the back. The wheels and tires weigh significantly more than tires even for a 7.

He only works on V12s if you are a very good and old customer.

He doesnt need the X and V12 business he is that busy.

Suggest she test drive the RDX and Rav4 just so has driven all the competitors. The money she saves will buy a lot shoes from Jimmy Choo and MB( no not Mercedes Benz).

And my advice is never ever ever give your opinion on what car to buy other than stating the pro and cons of the each car or truck. Dont say I really like that one or god forbid honey I think you should get the new F430 spyder. You will regret and never hear the end of it if she doesnt like her/your choice in vehicle.

And I forgot one what about a H3??? Or Caddy Srx or whatever it is called???

Dave Apker and the collies who prefer Land Rovers

For someone who leases, it's very hard to ignore BMW's residual/finance rates vs. the competition. Strictly looking at monthly payments makes the x3 tough to beat.

The reason is to save his back. Lifting the wheels and tires on and off a X3 or X5 several times a day isnt good for the back. The wheels and tires weigh significantly more than tires even for a 7.
    He only works on V12s if you are a very good and old customer.
    He doesnt need the X and V12 business he is that busy.
    Ahhhh....

Suggest she test drive the RDX and Rav4 just so has driven all the competitors. The money she saves will buy a lot shoes from Jimmy Choo and MB( no not Mercedes Benz).
    And my advice is never ever ever give your opinion on what car to buy other than stating the pro and cons of the each car or truck. Dont say I really like that one or god forbid honey I think you should get the new F430 spyder. You will regret and never hear the end of it if she doesnt like her/your choice in vehicle.
    And I forgot one what about a H3??? Or Caddy Srx or whatever it is called???
    Sage advice, Dave. I have not lasted 20+ of marriage w/o doing that. H3 is too big for her; she's 5'2" on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    For someone who leases, it's very hard to ignore BMW's residual/finance rates vs. the competition. Strictly looking at monthly payments makes the x3 tough to beat.
    Bren--I know, I know. She leases b/c it works for both of us. I don't have to work on her car anymore and she doesn't have to hear me complain about working on her car anymore. And mostly, I don't have to work on her car anymore. Get my drift, here? Hell, I don't work on my car anymore. I change the oil in the Expediton and both the bimmers, but that is it. Thansk, all. Tom
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

X3 Recommendation

The X 3 is the best all round BMW I have owned, going back to 1973. On the road it feels like a sedan, and criuses at an easy 90-110. My son and I make the DC - Montreal run in 8.5 hrs. for the F1 race every June.
    It did a good job on the Jeff race track, back when the club allowed them for the highway safety school. Handled well, leaned, felt high up, but was a blast to drive.

On the beach in NC, it is as competent as my Jeep Cherokee was, as long as you take off traction, and lower tire pressure to 15-20 lbs.
    With snow tires, X 3 blasted through 2 feet of snow at 7 Springs last year.
    The question is, do you want a SUV that is fun to drive and you look forward to trips, or just another basic truck 4 wheel drive.

Regarding the new X 5, which I have not driven, so can't comment, but the X 3 is 4,000 lbs. compared to well over 5,000 lbs. ( 6,000 ? ) for the X5.

I'm guessing your wife got a peek at last month's Roundel? (They had a review of the new X3)

I'd recommend checking this site for reviews. Some of the wording may be a little cliché, but at least they are honest about their bias (if that makes any sense).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/
    They posted a review of the 328Xi this morning. In general, not a bad site to check regularly. They have a page that lists reviews by manufacturer.

I have an 02 X5 and an 07 335i coupe and like that I have 2 different driving experiences. I've also driven the new X5 on the SC PCD track when picking up my 335i and the handling was more amazing than mine. I'd recommend it highly as it handles like no other truck can, which is why its called an SAV. The inside of the new X5 is very nice with a bunch of new toys to play with and you'll love the panoramic sunroof!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ErikT View Post
    I'm guessing your wife got a peek at last month's Roundel? (They had a review of the new X3)

I'd recommend checking this site for reviews. Some of the wording may be a little cliché, but at least they are honest about their bias (if that makes any sense).

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/
    They posted a review of the 328Xi this morning. In general, not a bad site to check regularly. They have a page that lists reviews by manufacturer.
    No, she does not read any of my car club magazines [Benz or BMW] but she did order a 328 Xi. She drove one and loved how it was easier to maneuver and smoother ride than her Z4 [I know, I know--comparing apples to oranges]. She decided against the X3/X5 on hew own.
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    Tom
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information