Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Track Brake Pads - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Track Brake Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Do not run street pads in the rear with track pads up front. All that means is that your rear brakes won't be doing anything. You'll also melt through them pretty quickly.
    I ran Carbotech XP8 upfront and Ultimate Axxis or maybe they where Carbotech Bobcats in the rear. Either way, the rears wore down very quickly. Now for me, XP10 upfront and XP8 for the rear.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Don't forget the high-temp brake fluid. ATE Super Blue (or Gold) is a good choice.
    Scott Lowrey

yea, i ran carbotech XP16's on the front & delux economy pads in the rear. Oh, and i was on street tire @ VIR. HORRIBLE combination!!!! LOL
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

Interesting thread, and everyone has their own opinion on brakes. Here are my thoughts.

I drive a '98 323is, and I had the same experience with the HP+ as "Glindsay." I just put on PFC Z-Rated pads, after having used HP+'s for two years, all year round. I like not having to hear each rotor singing a different tune when I slowed down for a light or stop sign, or having to clean my wheels every few days, I find the Z-Rated pads much less dusty. BUT, I miss the bite of the HP+, on the street. Although, the PFC's now seem to have more bite than they did 2 months ago. I have not had them on the track, yet, but will try them and see how they do. I am now using GS610 brake fluid and have SS brake lines. PFC says the Z-Rated are not supposed to be a "track" pad either.

As far as the HP+ not being a good pad for DE, well, that depends on how you use them. If your idea of driving at a DE is to brake hard at each and every braking point, then no, they will turn your rotors gray, overheat, and lose bite very quickly. BUT, this can teach you how NOT to use them up and conserve them. If you choose not to use them up, you can get by on the track with just about anything. Change your driving style to match the brakes you are running. Simple. If you want to out brake everyone, get the best performing pad and change them at the track. If you want to learn how to brake well, and consistently, back off a little and use a less aggressive pad.

See you at VIR or Summit Point? Or OG Racing?

Bimmer3

Quote Originally Posted by VA 330Ci View Post
    Hi all! I want to get a good set of brake pads that are track dedicated (wont be used for everyday driving) but can be driven to/from track safetly.
    I've been driving year round with the Performance Friction 90 on the front of my M3. Unfortunately, they are no longer available. The Porterfield R4 is capable of this too. Here is a tread about the track performance of the PF 01 on Bimmerforums. I don't know how suitable they are for the street:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=680830
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by orijinal_poser View Post
    Have you heard/tried the Z-rated pads from performance friction?

I am thinking about running either the PFC Z-Rated or Hawk HP+, but even my friends who have run HP+ are telling me to run the Z-Rated. Supposedly, the Z-rated is an excellent street pad that can hold it's own at HPDE's.
    No 'dual duty' pad is going to be all that good for either.

Just get a dedicated set of track pads.

Ive tested Carbotech's XP16 before they were released and they are pretty darn awesome. They are similar in cost to PFC01s and Hawk HT14s.

The one good thing about Carbotech is less rotor wear. But all three pads are very good.

Ive got all in stock and offer NCC members 10% off.

Contact me with your specifics (tire type, experience, car, etc) and I'll try to match a compound to your needs. Thanks.
    Wonger
    #199 Salazar Blue/White IP/GTS3 M3
    http://www.brakeswap.com
    http://www.roadracetech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Do not run street pads in the rear with track pads up front. All that means is that your rear brakes won't be doing anything. You'll also melt through them pretty quickly.
    Hate to revive an old thread...but is this gospel or opinion? I'm thinking of running HT-10's up front and OEM rears at Summit Point main next month. No good?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by gspot35 View Post
    Hate to revive an old thread...but is this gospel or opinion? I'm thinking of running HT-10's up front and OEM rears at Summit Point main next month. No good?
    This really depends on the car and driving style.

My setup was track pads front and rear.
    At the time I think I was running Carbotech XP8 front and rear.
    My instructor notice the rear wiggling at moderate to hard braking.
    I installed my Carbotech Bobcat or maybe Ultimate Axxis on the rear.
    Braking improved. Now I run XP11 up front and XP8 on the rear.

Different brake pads will change the brake bias of the car.
    In my case I had too much brake at the rear.

That's the story I had last year and I'm sticking to it.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

About the time you were born I ran Performance Friction pads on the front of my '87 325is and the OE-like Metal Masters on the rear. Much to my surprise, the rears wore out in a weekend at Mid-Ohio while the fronts showed almost no wear. I haven't tried a similar combination since then.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    About the time you were born I ran Performance Friction pads on the front of my '87 325is and the OE-like Metal Masters on the rear. Much to my surprise, the rears wore out in a weekend at Mid-Ohio while the fronts showed almost no wear. I haven't tried a similar combination since then.
    Surprised you can still remember.

Oh and thanks for the tip.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Track stuff I can remember. What I had for dinner last night is a little fuzzy.
    Woody

I'll add another type to the mix..

For an E46 330 coupe. Using PF97's in the front just at the track, new OE's in the rear. I haven't had a chance to really see what the combo could do since it rained both days the first DE I tried with them. http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/compounds.htm

When I first changed pads and rotors last year with 7 track days and 40K miles on them, the rears looked good and the rotors didn't really need changed, but I did anyway. The front rotors were warped and pads pretty thin. Installed OE Brembo rotors on the front. Maybe e46's have a lot more front bias and the rears don't contribute that much?

Anyway, I'm going to measure the front/rear pad thickness before and after. After reading the replies, it sounds like I might have to get a better rear pad for track use.

It depends on your driving style. What happens is that you will never notice when the rear pads overheat and fade away. This causes two problems: 1) That much more force on your front brakes, and 2) your rear pads will literally evaporate.

The problem you'll then encounter is that your front brakes will be more stressed and if you're not careful, they'll go away too. It's not opinion. I found it out the hard way at 150MPH at the 500ft. marker on Summit Main. A lot of it depends on the car - I suspect that FWD cars have essentially no rear brake bias because I hear from a lot of those guys that they can't get track pads to work in the rear. BMWs really want a pad that can hold up in the back.

Basically, if you drive hard enough to need track pads in a BMW, you really need them all around.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    I'll add another type to the mix..

For an E46 330 coupe. Using PF97's in the front just at the track, new OE's in the rear. I haven't had a chance to really see what the combo could do since it rained both days the first DE I tried with them. http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/compounds.htm

When I first changed pads and rotors last year with 7 track days and 40K miles on them, the rears looked good and the rotors didn't really need changed, but I did anyway. The front rotors were warped and pads pretty thin. Installed OE Brembo rotors on the front. Maybe e46's have a lot more front bias and the rears don't contribute that much?

Anyway, I'm going to measure the front/rear pad thickness before and after. After reading the replies, it sounds like I might have to get a better rear pad for track use.
    The E46 330s have huge rear rotors. You still want a mild track pad back there.

(Also, DO NOT LET PF97 DUST SIT ON YOUR CAR/WHEELS - if it gets wet it'll damage your paint. Other than the dusting, they're awesome pads. For some reason PF01 dust isn't anywhere near as aggressive.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thanks for the responses Nick. Could I go with less of a pad in the rear than the HT-10's? Maybe a HP+ like pad? I think your response is going to be, if you're going to change your pads, swap in proper track pads.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thread Information