Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Track Brake Pads
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Track Brake Pads

Track Brake Pads

Hi all! I want to get a good set of brake pads that are track dedicated (wont be used for everyday driving) but can be driven to/from track safetly. I was thinking a more agressive front pad with a less agressive rear. Maybe something like Hawk HT-10 up front and Axxis Ultimate in rear. Any suggestions? Would the above mentioned set-up be ok to get me to/from track.

I am looking for pads that will not leave so much deposit on the rotors and will provide a better bite. Last DE, I think I left half my front pads on the rotors. Thanks in advance for recommendations.

2004 330Ci

Contact Eric Wong at BrakeSwap.com. He's local and carried Carbotech, Hawk, etc. He will set you up with the right pad for your experience, tires, etc.

-- Jason

i like dealing with this guy. he has never steered me wrong.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/products.htm

he's in NJ
    95 M3, 6-speed, 3.73
    Extensive weight reduction
    Website

I've been using cool willies from Turner. I like those for DEs and you can definitely drive to/from track. I've driven to VIR with those several times.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    I've been using cool willies from Turner. I like those for DEs and you can definitely drive to/from track. I've driven to VIR with those several times.
    i will second that. outstanding de pad....it is what i used in the dark ages back when i did de's...

After several DEs in my 330Ci, I too developed the pad-material-on-rotor condition. I have found the 330/330Ci in particular to have an excellent brake system (nice big rotors), but the OEM pads can be easily consumed. In my case both front and rear rotors were contaminated and also had boiled fluid issues.

For the last 15 or so schools, I’ve run Hawk HP Plus pads on both front and rear and ATE Gold fluid. Certainly not the best setup, but have learned to work within limits and don’t feel out-braked by others in the schools running more aggressive pads.

The braking performance of the HP Plus pads is a large step above OEM to the point that some street experience will do a driver well on the track. Although I’ve found the HP Plus to perform very consistently in all sorts of temperatures, careful - these pads will out-brake anything on the street. Recall once being surprised by a yellow and stopping confidently - certainly not abruptly, but the 3 SUVs behind me did not share same. No bumpers involved but a whole lot o’ rubber left and browned shorts, my shorts too.

Typically, I’ll switch pads a week or 2 before and after the event. And if the events are only a few weeks apart, I’ll just leave them on. These pads squeal like a whole pen of pigs and dust wheels like crazy. But they do not burn into wheel nor fender paint as is seen with some more aggressive pads.

It’s now above freezing, time to wash chemicals off the fleet.

Greg

Thanks for the input guys! Anyone else?

Looking forward to March!!!!!

2004 330Ci

Brakes For Track

I used Porterfield R4 for years, and switched to Performance Friction 001 4 + years ago. They really last, don't dust much, kind to rotors and metal particles don't adhere to your paint and wheels, like some of the Hawk pads.
    I leave them in year round, as I'm to lazy to take them out.
    They squell like a pig around town, which is obnoxiously fun.
    I used the Axxis Ulitimates in the rear, but as of last year, the PF 001 is now available in the rear for E 46 M3.

Banned
    You may want to ask around to include the chapter's chief instructor about mixing or running different pad compounds front and rear on your car. It sint something I would do on a street car. And I believe the chief instructor didnt recommend on some cars not sure about yours and current thinking

Dave Apker

Quote Originally Posted by Chiaretto M3 View Post
    I used Porterfield R4 for years, and switched to Performance Friction 001 4 + years ago. They really last, don't dust much, kind to rotors and metal particles don't adhere to your paint and wheels, like some of the Hawk pads.
    I leave them in year round, as I'm to lazy to take them out.
    They squell like a pig around town, which is obnoxiously fun.
    I used the Axxis Ulitimates in the rear, but as of last year, the PF 001 is now available in the rear for E 46 M3.
    Have you heard/tried the Z-rated pads from performance friction?

I am thinking about running either the PFC Z-Rated or Hawk HP+, but even my friends who have run HP+ are telling me to run the Z-Rated. Supposedly, the Z-rated is an excellent street pad that can hold it's own at HPDE's.
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

HP+ is not a good track/DE pad. It's a very aggressive street pad. I subscribe to the idea of swapping pads when going to DEs. All purpose pads are like all season tires, nothing you want to go to the track with.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    HP+ is not a good track/DE pad. It's a very aggressive street pad. I subscribe to the idea of swapping pads when going to DEs. All purpose pads are like all season tires, nothing you want to go to the track with.
    a hawk representative has been quoted regarding hp+ pads not being good for track use. fine for auto-x.

speak to dave zeckhausen about brakes.
    95 M3, 6-speed, 3.73
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by odortiz View Post
    a hawk representative has been quoted regarding hp+ pads not being good for track use. fine for auto-x.

speak to dave zeckhausen about brakes.

Well, this certainly follows along with my personal experiences with the Hawk HP+ pads. Did a lot of Autox and used them for my daily street pad, all with good success. One note was that these pads in my application were VERY noisy for the street and were some dirty, but that was to be expected. For track days, I found that as I increased in my level of of skill and aggressiveness on the track, these pads simply did not provide the stopping power that I needed. I was definitely running out of stopping power and durability with the HP+s on long tracks like into T1 at VIR and the backstraight at Mid Oh. I talked with James Clay at Bimmerworld and I ended up with the Hawk HT10s for track days. These are really good and I've not run out of braking power with them, but they are not a daily driver pad by any means, they need to be warm to be fully effective and kept up to temp. They are somewhat "rotor hungry" as well, but they do stop quite nicely and have good torque. With a heavier car like the E46s, I can only imagine that the HP+s would only go away quicker at DE events.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

the problem with them is once you exceed about 700 deg. the friction falls off the map. it's also how i ended in the gravel trap in turn one at summit.
    95 M3, 6-speed, 3.73
    Website

Do not run street pads in the rear with track pads up front. All that means is that your rear brakes won't be doing anything. You'll also melt through them pretty quickly.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information