Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Track/Driving school insurance?

Thread: Track/Driving school insurance?

Track/Driving school insurance?

Does anyone know of a specific company offering track day insurance to
    supplement policy exclusions on a standard car policy?

I checked my policy last night, and there is very strong language excluding coverage for any activity held on a racetrack including racing, training for a race, high performance driving, or ANY other driving activity held on a non public road / closed course.

While the policy specifically didn't mention Driver's Schools, the language seems sufficient to deny a claim at the track.

I have no issues w/ my insurance company in terms of day to day coverage, but as far as they're concerned, I can get drunk, run
    90mph around the Beltway, hit another car and total my own and
    be fully covered, but just putting wheels on the surface at Summit voids my policy (not that I would or condone the former). Go Figure.

It sounds like they can make an easy claim to deny insurance.
    That sucks. Currently my Nationwide policy has no such exclusion.

AmericanCollectors.com used to have driving school insurance but they are no longer offering it. They say they are loosing too much money. They have been renewing past policies and I'll probably renew once again.

I don't know of any companies that offer such insurance. Sorry.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Well I need to pick up a certified letter from American Collectors.
    I bet they are dropping me and discounting the program altogether.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

As far as I know most insurances don't cover HPDEs, and the rest are pushing new policies to include "new" language specifically forbidding HPDEs. My insurance (state farm) clearly told me that I would not be covered. This is why most people "race" their beaters.

Looks like American Collectors will not be renewing policies anymore.
    Certified letters from insurance companies are never good news.
    Need to take another look at my insurance policy.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Banned
    For liability coverage for schools you might want to look into an umbrella liability policy for your home, car etc. This could and I am still working with my agent reduce the costs of my homeowners and auto insurance. This type of policy wont repair your car if an incident happens on the track but might reduce your liability exposure. If an incident is your fault at the track your instructor and any other injured parties can come after you. The waivers you sign only protect the track and the club and depending on the incident the waiver might not protect them.

This type of liability coverage might be helpful for any club officer. Talk to your agent.

Dave Apker and the collies
    Last edited by OwnedbyDuncan; 01-21-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Dave, that is the first "useful" application of an umbrella policy that I can see in my situation.

Geico tried pretty hard to sell me on one last time I renewed my policy but I didn't go for it.

Banned
    There is always I was driving up to Summit Point to see some friends and this herd of sheep ran across the road followed by two collies one sable rough who looked like Lassie and another a rough blue merle. I tried to avoid the sheep and the collies and ended up hitting this tree or guardrail on Summit Point Rd. I almost hit some guy where a BMW cap carrying a stick.

I will supply photos to verify your story and my collies will testify in court.
    They work for treats from the Dogma dog bakery in Arlington. You can deposit my treat in small unmarked bills sent to a PO box. Fee to be discussed.

Several of my herding buddies live around Summit Point so it is plausible.

We were moving sheep officer and this idiot in this BMW came around the corner too fast and lost control. You know those BMW drivers officer!

Dont laugh rumors has it the several cars have ended up off of the race track property after a ds. Of course NCC would never condone this but you never know with those P car guys.

...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Banned
    Steven

Do you have a link for the Carrera GT article? The reason I retired as DS coordinator was then President Clinton changed the law for Federal employees back in the mid 90's. It used to be that my wages could not be garnished as a result of being on the losing side as a defendant in civil suit. My other assets at the time could not be touched in civil suit. Clinton made it possible to garnish my wages.

As DS coordinator I always made it clear to anyone who called or asked questions that a drivers school had the potential to be dangerours or even fatal.

The author's points about the waiver were always a big concern of mine.
    You might if you can find it take a look at the Mark Donohue case since the issue of negligence(sic) and a dangerous activity were paramount in this case.

So why do we ask for a copy of the insurance card?

Might make it more difficult to find volunteer corner workers.

As a club officer you might want to talk with your insurance guy for a umbrella liability policy? Or maybe the chapter or National should consider
    purchasing a policy for club officers and volunteer workers at events.
    $1 million dollars may not be enough! Also realize that the dinner this weekend can also have liability concerns for club officers. Dave has too many and goes out kills someone. Not only is the restaurnat liable so is the club and the officers.

You should post a link to this article on the instructors site! Bill Shook will love you.

The chances of something happening are rare but it can happen. Someone losing an engine going down the chute could result in a lot of club members lawyering up! I always hated Sundays as DS coordinator especially after lunch. Got a knot in my stomach. Now I just play with sheep.

Nice thing about BMWCCA is no one to my knowledge ever slandered, libeled or defamed me. Cant say the same thing about the other CCA the Collie Club of America. Egos of dog people put car people to shame!

Carrera GT article
    http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...608_466074.htm
    • We have "D&O" Insurance which covers Directors and Officers.
    • We also have a large insurance policy.
    • We no longer use volunteer corner workers.
    Let's try to keep politics out of just one thread.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Banned
    Does anyone veirfy that everyone at DS to include instructor's has signed Chapter waiver? We all sign the BSR waiver at the track entrance but what about the Chapter waiver? What about guests etc.

Also what about workers at other events autoX?

You might want to obtain a copy of D&O insurance policy?
    And discuss with your agent.

Are the DS coordinator and chief instructor covered under this policy?
    And the registar?

And instructor's aren't covered correct under the D&O policy? So the instructor gets left holding the bag.

Also the board may want to review their policies and how the club bank accounts are handled with the chapter's attorney to minimize exposure etc. the first thing the plaintiff's attorney is going to do is go after yhe chapter's bank accounts after serving the papers.

If the plaintiff wins this lawsuit drivers schools may go bye bye since waivers wont be worth the paper they are written on.

Dave Apker

Dave, it sounds like you are volunteering.
    Everyone signs the waiver. Bill has all instructors sign.
    The registrar gets a signature before giving people their car numbers.

Everyone with the operation of the school are covered as long as there is no gross negligence. We always exercise on the side of caution.

Any further discussion regarding insurance and the chapter should be referred to Roy, our DSSC chairperson and chapter president. He is more knowledgable than I when it comes to this matter.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information