Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Karting Tracks around the US
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karting Tracks around the US

Hybrid View

Karting Tracks around the US

I wanted to start a forum to discuss kart tracks around the country. I for one like to visit local tracks as I travel. Here are a couple that I've been to recently.

GoKart Racer
    http://www.gokartracer.com/
    San Francisco (near airport)

Two independent indoor tracks that combine a couple of days a week to make a 60sec track. Full gear and 3pt harness req'd. I was literally worn out after a couple of sessions on this track. The cars are 9hp and the track is prepped to be sticky. I highly recommend this spot, very professional atmosphere and incredible kart setup and track.

Tampa Bay Grand Prix
    http://www.tampabaygp.com/
    St. Petersburg, FL

Outdoor track that was just reconfigured and not up to date on the website. The karts are italian and electric. The electric karts are quite a bit different than the gas, mainly due to the crazy amounts of torque available at low speeds. It's a totally different experience. The carts are heavy and no where near as nimble as a Sodi-Kart. I recommend the experience, because of the electric karts, but the atmosphere was kind of trashy and not professional.

Please feel free to share your experiences, or look up the local track next time you travel.

Craig

great idea Craig!

F1 Boston
    www.f1boston.com
    Braintree, MA (just south of boston)

Two independent indoor tracks that sometimes conjoin (I guess similar to GoKart Racer). The two times that I have gone, I have only done Track 1 (which is the main, "city" course). The track layout is awesome and the track is semi-slick, not so much as Allsports. I believe the karts are Sodi karts as well. Definitely gas powered. It is about a 22 second course or so, with the fastest guy there having a 19 second time, I believe?

Amazing atmosphere with a bar that has a balcony that overviews the track. Very professional atmosphere and awesome entrance with actual race cars and race karts. Highly recommended!

Virginia Int'l Raceway: Plantation Valley Kart Track
    http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php...d=11&Itemid=70
    Alton, VA

Outdoor track that has been in service for a year or two, if I remember correctly. Very sticky, 5/8th mile course that does not need braking except for one hairpin. Gas powered karts with seats that hurt my back. But a trip well worth it. $30 for 1/2 hour, $50 for 1 hour. Just one or two minutes from VIR full course. I believe we were running somewhere in the time of 38 seconds?

Very relaxed and extremely nice staff. A must if you made the trip all the way down to VIR.
    Last edited by orijinal_poser; 01-10-2007 at 04:25 AM.
    -John
    1995 Hellrot M3........needs more mods

Quote Originally Posted by orijinal_poser View Post
    great idea Craig!

F1 Boston
    www.f1boston.com
    Braintree, MA (just south of boston)
    The facilties of F1 Boston are great but the staff sux! They are rude and have no idea about racing. They are way too liberal with the black flag - punishing the passing car even if an impact was clearly the result of a slower car closing the door after the corner was lost. (ask me how I know) FWIW, I thought little of the staff before being put in the "Sin Bin" for the passing contact.

Some other tracks worth mentioning (all include timing and scoring sheets post race as part of the deal) :

G-Force in Richmond, VA. The facilities are good with plenty of grip. Once lap times goals are met, Supercarts are available. This facility is in the shadow of Richmond International Raceway. The people here are great and really help people enjoy their facilities. Short of F1 Boston, G-Force has the best facilities IMO.

Mid Atlantic Grand Prix. This Wilmington, DE track is similar to Allsport in its layout and size. They now offer supercars as well. The staff at Mid Atlantic are the best. The staff will help you with your cart choice (read: you can get em to tell you the ringers ;o)) and the girls behind the counter are cute friendly and have a sense of humor. I believe one day a week they offer an enduro for a fair price that will leave your arms, neck, and back crying for mercy.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

www.monticellokarting.com

Close to me @ FSU. Juan Pablo Montoya designed course.

Looking to Get Involved!

I do not know much about the sport but looking to get involved in the very near future... my son is a few years away from being old enough to participate, but I started his training this summer at a few beach and Baltimore area go-kart tracks.

By the way, I believe the new new outdoor track in New Jersery (NJ Motorsport) in Melville offers a F1 karting experience. Not sure what that means but it sounds quite compelling!

With any luck, I intend to visit Allsports this fall/winter. Does anyone know of any discounts for BMW CCA members? I hope to visit the track once (maybe twice) a month later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelms View Post

By the way, I believe the new new outdoor track in New Jersery (NJ Motorsport) in Melville offers a F1 karting experience. Not sure what that means but it sounds quite compelling!
    Several of us from the chapter did an Arrive & Drive at the NJMP kart facility when there for the NJ Chapter drivers school weekend before last. We were not able to use the full course because the existing karts we were to use are not geared right for the long straights. They said they had lost 12 engines so far. Anyway, the Liberator short course was longer and faster than Allsports and the new pavement is quite sticky. A&D (15 laps) is $25 plus $10 for a 1-day license. A season license was $25 as I recall. Tons of fun except for the bright setting sun at 6 pm.

http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/karting.html
    Last edited by woodym3; 09-02-2008 at 07:40 AM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thanks!

I truly appreciate the feedback especially since this is an old post... Sounds like some fun. My only concern is the distance to Melville track.

While I maybe able to working it in, the crew I would like to roll with (pun intended) would probably complain!

Maybe there will be a club event there in the future. That way, I could spend the entire day there will another/new group of friends...

If anyone is listening and interested, Sundays work best as the little one as soccer games on Saturday afternoons so he and I could drive up Saturday night and sleep in an inexpensive hotel. This might be a good way to officially jump start my involvement in the sport!

Smile NCC Winter Karting League

The Chapter organizes a Winter Karting League and runs from December through February. Last year's information is at

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?karting

and check back later on for this year's schedule.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    The Chapter organizes a Winter Karting League and runs from December through February. Last year's information is at

i definitely want to participate in this

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post

For anyone interested in improving their driving skills (by playing with go-karts) you don' t have to wait until the NCC winter league. Send Gary an email (his address is in the above link). There is a group of chapter members that gathers at Allsport on a pretty regular basis and Gary can add you to their email list.

For those of you with kids. I highly recommend their KIDS program. Just be prepared to accept defeat at the hands of your kids. I don't care how good you think you are, you will get beaten by these light-weight racers.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

http://www.sadlersindoorracing.com/

This in Olathe, KS. This place is a pretty nice, very large, and has crazy fast carts. The place is more like barnyard racing than it is F1 style karting. The staff is very friendly and low-key. The track is probably 1/4 mile or more, can't remember my lap times but the average speed was about 42mph. Seriously, the carts are fast. It's a $1 per minute on weekdays, which is seriously cheap seat time. If you're ever in town, stop by and see them.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Got some new ones!

http://www.americanindoorkarting.com/

This is in Portsmouth, VA. I went there on my way to Norfolk area for work a couple weeks ago. I went there on a Wednesday, that's when they had Supertrack...which is both tracks combined. The track was about 42 seconds long, and a real blast. The karts are in pretty great shape, especially the Superkarts. Track is sticky, and extremely fast with a full speed right hander that could get hairy if you turn in too soon.
    Prices are reasonable, especially compared to N.VA prices, staff is friendly and prompt. No driving suits available, so be prepared to be stinky afterwards.

http://www.gforcekarts.com/

This track is in Richmond, VA, right next to Richmond International Raceway. Hit this one on my way home from said business trip. I only got to run one session due to a corporate group coming in. Track seemed very grippy and fast, but the karts were pretty banged up. The track features a long sweeper at the end of the straight which turns into a decreasing radius turn where trailbraking is used. This track is a bit more technical than the Portsmouth track, but not as much fun or thrilling (less speed).
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post

This track is in Richmond, VA, right next to Richmond International Raceway. This track is a bit more technical than the Portsmouth track, but not as much fun or thrilling (less speed).
    Earn the superkarts and G-Force is plenty fast. I was in Richmond for several days taking some licensing classes and went racing each night. Once I ran with some local hot shoes, I learned some of their tricks and was surprised by the speed one could carry into the corner at the end of the back straight. I have never been to Portsmouth though...
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Right so you would stay on the throttle through the last right hander then get near the outside (left) to set up for the right-left....I was able to keep the boil on through that complex, but was still tinkering with the following hairpin when my session ended.

I can only imagine the superkart speed coming off the main straight. I hope to get back there soon as I feel my time there was too short to understand the whole track.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Bi-level, lot's of fun. Fast Times in Indianapolis-it was a great way to kill time during F1 weekend till the Michelin fiasco.

http://www.fastimesindoorkarting.com/index.html

Thread Information