Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
winter tires?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: winter tires?

winter tires?

What do others use for winter tires in our area? I went looking for snow tires at Costco and they said no one buys them because there isn't enough snow. Do any of you use snow tires? DO you use all seasons? Do you just leave your summer performance tires on year round?

I think you'll find most of us use winter tires. My latest favorite is Vredstein (sp). You might get away with no-seasons, but definately not Z-rated tires.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I'm interested also, as my all-seasons are getting worn.

Vredesteins come in different categories, I've heard they are great. They have several types. By "winter tires" do you mean "ice/snow tires "(e.g., Vredestein Snowtrac or Blizzak WS-50) or "performance winter" tires (e.g., Vredestein Wintrak Extreme or Dunlop Winter Sport M3)? Besides snow, which we don't have much of, I guess it comes down to temperature, but which to use for what temp?

Thanks for the clarification.

-John
    - John
    Gaithersburg, MD
    2000 Porsche C2
    1972 BMW 2002tii
    1992 Miata (SCCA SSM)

Banned
    Radial Tire in Silver Spring will set you up at prices equal to COstco and better service. Vredsteins are great. However they dont make anything in the correct size for my Element so I am trying Michelin Latitude Ices.
    I used Vredsteins for 15 years and they are great in the snow but better than almost all snow tires in the dry.

No seasons are okay but driving with the tail out gets old. Snow tires are a lot more secure feeling when there is snow on the ground.

Blizzaks just arent as secure felling in the dry and wet as Vredsteins.

Remember in DC area the roads dont stay snow covered for any more than a couple of days. Then you go from dry roads to slush to snow pack.

If the roads do stay covered in this area it means that we either got 2 feet of the stuff and BMWs dont have the ground clearance to go in it or the temp is below 20 degrees and the driving is easier than it is when the roads are snow covered and the temp is above 25 degrees. My lowered 90 325i w 2.5= degrees of negative camber was good in up to about 8-10 inches of snow with snow tires and a 100lbs of sand in trunk in a rubber amid container.

Anyone in NOVA want a 100lbs of sand free in a rubber maid container?

Dave Apker

Banned
    Snow trac's.

Dave Apker

Do most of you have a second set of wheels for this purpose? Are your winter rims smaller? I was planning to down-size to 17x7.5 from the standard staggered 18x8/18x9 on a 550.

Do you use more than 2 types of tire in a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
    Do most of you have a second set of wheels for this purpose? Are your winter rims smaller? I was planning to down-size to 17x7.5 from the standard staggered 18x8/18x9 on a 550.

Do you use more than 2 types of tire in a year?
    I have a set of 15" steel wheels but I doubt they would clear any calipers made in this century. It's much easier to have a dedicated set of tires.

I'd want a narrower tire and one with a higher profile.
    All my winter tires are 15s. My summer tires are 17s.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I have 15" bottlecaps with Bridgestone Blizzaks 205/60/15 for the winter and 16" oem sport wheels with summer tires for Spring/Summer/Fall for my E36.

I live way out in the boonies and snowboard regularly in PA (where roads aren't always great after snows), and I wouldn't drive on anything else in the winter.

Banned
    I used to have street tires on 14in wheels 19566514, winter tires on a set of really ugly bottle caps 1956514 and track tires on 7.5x15 2055015 on my E30325i.

I know at least one E30325is owner who has Michelin studded snow tires.

Dave Apker

I'm curious, how much effect could 100 lbs of sand have on a 4000 lb car? I know yours is lighter than mine, but not THAT much lighter.

I just swapped bottlecaps w/snows on my E30 today. I'm headed to Upstate NY for turkeyday and I'd rather be safe than stuck!

Banned
    In my E30325i a big difference and that is with a LSD. Even in the wet it makes a difference. The owners manual recommends 50kg of sand for the winter for the E30

Dave Apker

I used to run all seasons until I tried a set of summer tires. As soon as the temp started dropping I bought another set of wheels, a set of Vredsteins and haven't looked back. I used to HATE driving in the winter because I thought my car sucked in the snow. It turns out it was simply the no-seasons.

Just keep an eye out for someone dumping their stock wheels. You can usually pick them up cheap. Since they are going to be out in the snow/salt and you will only be using them for a couple months, I wouldn't bother buying a "new" set (unless you want new summer wheels). Find something cheap that you don't care about.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

yeah, I did start looking for people selling their stock wheels, but was concerned that there is no way I could know how much they were abused. I figured I would just buy a set on BMWWheels.com, or if I really want to be cheap, order aftermarket from TireRack.com.

Has anyone looked into what it would cost to order a set of wheels with club discount at Tischer and compared that to online prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Locksmythe View Post
    Has anyone looked into what it would cost to order a set of wheels with club discount at Tischer and compared that to online prices?
    Probably A LOT. You might want to call Radial Tires and see if they have any takeoffs. Their number is 301-585-2740. They must buy takeoffs from a catalog. I'm sure it will be cheaper than a dealer. A dealer is probably going to sell new.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information