Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Changing Fluids

Thread: Changing Fluids

Changing Fluids

Hello all,

I am debating whether to change the motor oil every 5K miles. Currently, the dealer will replace the oil after the OBC informs me that a flush is needed...I bought the full maintenance package which covers oil changes during the first 100K miles.

Also, any suggestions on when I should replace the "lifetime" transmission fluid. I am thinking about changing at 60K. It is my understanding that this procedure is very complicated. Is this true? I have access to a good indy who I use for my SUV (i.e., Autobahn of Towson).

I drive the e39 twice a week. However, I am a spirited driver. There are 55K miles on the clock, and I would love to keep this vehicle forever! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wnelms View Post
    Hello all,

I am debating whether to change the motor oil every 5K miles. Currently, the dealer will replace the oil after the OBC informs me that a flush is needed...I bought the full maintenance package which covers oil changes during the first 100K miles.

Also, any suggestions on when I should replace the "lifetime" transmission fluid. I am thinking about changing at 60K. It is my understanding that this procedure is very complicated. Is this true? I have access to a good indy who I use for my SUV (i.e., Autobahn of Towson).

I drive the e39 twice a week. However, I am a spirited driver. There are 55K miles on the clock, and I would love to keep this vehicle forever! Thanks.
    Do you have manual or automatic?
    You are coming up on Inspection II and you should change all of your fluids; diff, tranny, crankcase, coolant and brakes.

Here are a few DIY's (no tranny though):
    http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e39

Automatic (Steptronic) Tranny

First thanks for the feedback...My next service will be Inspection II. Since this is covered under the full maintenance package, I will allow the dealer to do whatever it is they do. 5K miles later, I will change all of the fluids you have recommended. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wnelms View Post
    First thanks for the feedback...My next service will be Inspection II. Since this is covered under the full maintenance package, I will allow the dealer to do whatever it is they do. 5K miles later, I will change all of the fluids you have recommended. Thanks!
    Here is the DIY for the E34 automatic:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...atic_flush.htm

Thread Information