Quote Originally Posted by FT View Post
I hope this discussion helps the chapter in some way. I do not have much to add but to say i do not buy the volunteer, instructor or chief instructor stories. If we can identify the issues, then we are half way to solving them. Since the days I have been involved with the NCC, it never lost money and always had more than know what to do with it. If volunteers is an issue, hire people, pay so called 'volunteers', do something.

I do not want to offend any one, but it is all in the leadership. If the member based wants more DEs, and that is a big if, then find a way to do it. Dismissing even the effort to find solutions right out of the bat due to lack of volunteers or what ever is not the way to approach it.

On the other hand, I feel particularly lucky that we live in the metro DC area with several other options
Boner and Ft,

Bubbas the chapter needs a coordinator. Why dont both of you volunteer to do it. Then contact VIR, the Glen, Mid Ohio etc to see what the cost is for a weekend and what dates are available. Also why dont you stop by the chief instructor's shop and ask him what he thinks about out of the area schools. Even if you dont volunteer stop by and talk to the chief instructor. Often the chief instructor isnt sure how many instructors he is going to have until a couple weeks before the event. And then he has to match students with instructors. It isnt a random process.

When I volunteered to be coordinator right after I hit my head I thought about out of the area drivers schools. After I ran my first school the idea faded and after I ran my second school I never gave this idea any consideration again. Running 3-4 schools a year was plenty of work for me. I never heard much talk of amongst the chapter members for out of area schools. Those who wanted to do Mid Ohio, or the Glen did those tracks with other chapters. I did.

And yeah the chapter used to lose money running schools and then we broke even. Havent checked the treasurer's statements in while but they arent a big money maker. After track rental fees, insurance, corner workers and other expenses the chapter doesnt make a lot on entrance fees.

Do you all have any idea what it costs to rent Mid Ohio , the Glen or VIR for a three day weekend? I guessing $35 to 40K? Anyone know? Ten years ago 3 day weekend at Summit Point used to cost the Chapter $11K.
That didnt include insurance which ran about $5k.

I think you are missing my point if you want out of region schools the members of NCC who want them need to step up to the plate and volunteer and do the work to see if its feasible. Show the board and DSSC that there is enough interest to warrant consideration and what the costs would be.

Damn I can remember when you could rent Summit Point for $500 a day during the week.

Schools arent a big deal for most members of the chapter. Maybe a 80 to 100 members do a schools in a year out of what 5000 members. More members do tours I believe.

Dave Apker