Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Won't rev up.

Thread: Won't rev up.

Won't rev up.

This is somewhat funny I have been a member twice now, once while I was stationed in San Diego now while I am in Maryland. I have a 1984 318i a second owner with 162K, just lately it has bee giving me problem and attempted to get some opinion from Pelican Parts forum but nor result, well I think I found the problem. So I thought I would try this forum it's fitting it's a world for "bemmers". So, here it goes 318i will not rev up beyond 3K. There's has been a lot of things suggested to replace and I have several needed to be replaced anyway.

The other day when I was playing with the air flow sensor and disconnected the housing from the filter box itself I was able to rev up beyond 3K. Can someone share their knowledge or has anyone experienced this problem before. At times as I drive it a great distance it will rev up beyond 3K. I have replace the internal tank pump thinking the pressure was not good enough at high rpm, cap and rotor, new plugs, new wires check the distributor for play, none new injectors. Someone help I plan on keeping this car for sometime or it is considered a classic.

Ben

I am by no means an expert on these engines. Given the symptoms that you decribe, I would look at items that are feeding data to the ECU. It sounds like the computer is confused and is possibly in a limp home mode which is limiting the fuel rate. I would check the various sensors connected to the ECU. My initial thoughts are that you have either a bad mass air flow sensor or a faulty camshaft position sensor. You may have found your problem when you disconnected the air flow sensor.
    Last edited by SMOODY; 11-16-2006 at 02:36 PM.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Thanks for the verification. I was relactant to admit that part being the problem since I just discovered that it is a 200.00 plus part I am going to do more troubleshooting before I put out the money.

You might want to ask this over on www.e30tech.com

Failing that, I can recommend Dan Martin in Gaithersburg, MD to work on E30s.

http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/dc_service_shops.html

Edit: now that I know where Lexington Park is, I'll suggest Grant Randall at Alexandria Bavarian. (It's the closest quality shop that I'm personally familiar with.)

Gentlemen thank you for all your inputs unfortunately the Navy has me traveling a great deal so working on my projects is a rare thing but I will contact the shops you suggested.

Ben

Thread Information