Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Dinan Exhaust for E46 M3

Thread: Dinan Exhaust for E46 M3

Dinan Exhaust for E46 M3

Has anyone had the free flow exhaust by Dinan installed on an E46 M3? Is the sound worth the money? Is there any noticeable performance improvement? Are there other exhausts that sound good that are a bit less expensive? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, is the basic software upgrade worth it for 5 HP increase only at high rpm?

You aren't going to get more power with a muffler...and you certainly won't notice 5HP.

Sound is too subjective.

Borla and Magnaflow are the "low cost" options.

Borla

Quote Originally Posted by rtf View Post
    Has anyone had the free flow exhaust by Dinan installed on an E46 M3? Is the sound worth the money? Is there any noticeable performance improvement? Are there other exhausts that sound good that are a bit less expensive? Any advice would be appreciated. Also, is the basic software upgrade worth it for 5 HP increase only at high rpm?
    I have a Borla on my M3 and the sound is wonderful. On long trips it's not intrusive, and the sound quality is much better than stock.

Long ago I read on an M3 forum that none of the exhausts out there will give you more power. People change them just for the sound.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

I have the Dinan exhaust and love the sound, and volume is just perfect. I bought mine used, I don't know that I wouldn't have chosen the Borla if I was looking at new ones.

Alex

EDIT: also remember that the Dinan has only one side that's actually functional. So on cold mornings with a cold engine, you can look a little silly.
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Thanks for the advice on the Dinan exhaust for the E46 M3. You have confirmed what I suspected about performance aspects, and it sounds like I should look carefully at Borla if I decide to change exhaust. RTF

Banned
    Dinan used to cut open the BMW stock exhaust and then do whatever and weld it back together and resell at very inflated prices. Not sure they still do this. I figured they were just pulling out some batting and resealing everything.

I have never found Dinan a company I ever wanted to give my hard earned well your hard earned tax dollars to since the tax payers pay my salary.

You really need to ride along in car similar to yours when considering an aftermarket exhaust certain resonance periods can be annoying.

Dave Apker
    PS thanks to the tax payers my collies and I are entered in a herding trial this weekend. My collies thnak you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    Dinan used to cut open the BMW stock exhaust and then do whatever and weld it back together and resell at very inflated prices. Not sure they still do this. I figured they were just pulling out some batting and resealing everything.
    No, they have not done that for years, E34s were like that. All of their mufflers are hand welded at their CA plant, not outsourced. I'm not a big Dinan supporter any longer (we just stopped selling their parts) but just wanted to clear up any mis-information.

Thread Information