Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
2006 Season Results - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2006 Season Results

I think the Minis could fit into either the Touring or Sport classes (preferably Sport).... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    I think the Minis could fit into either the Touring or Sport classes (preferably Sport).... ?
    Bring it up at the meeting.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

The autocross committee will be meeting on Thursday to review dates for 07 and we will also come up with a date for the classing meeting.

When we make the announcement of the date of the meeting, I will start a thread to discuss possible changes to the classing structure. I encourage everyone who feels passionately about a possible change to not only voice their opinion at this forum but to come to the meeting to discuss it further.

Pete

I would have made 4 events if September hadn't conflicted with the Summit Point DE.... Under the current rules, can you win your class if you're the only competitor and you show up for 4 or more events? Also, were there special trophies for the last event or was that something else?

I usually compare my performance to the E30 325is. On classification, I think it's a bit harsh to apply the SCCA model to decide how to classify the the MINI. For example: put an aftermarket 15% reduction pulley on a MINI Cooper S (a $300 mod) and you're in "mod-till-you-drop" Street Mod class. Buy a JCW car from the factory ($5,000 mod) that includes the same pulley (and a ported head and other mods) and you're in STX.

I'd like to propose the following for the MINI if you're going to drop the MINI classes:
    1. MINI Cooper: Touring
    2. MINI Cooper S: Sport (this would include any mods that are a part of the JCW package: up to a 15% reduction pulley, remapped ECU, sway bar, intake and exahust)
    3. Franken-MINI (turbo-compressor, twin-screw or greater than 15% pulley): Unlimited.

Anyway, that's my $.02 as one MINI driver who made 3 events.

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Quote Originally Posted by gnhovis View Post
    I would have made 4 events if September hadn't conflicted with the Summit Point DE.... Under the current rules, can you win your class if you're the only competitor and you show up for 4 or more events? Also, were there special trophies for the last event or was that something else?

I usually compare my performance to the E30 325is. On classification, I think it's a bit harsh to apply the SCCA model to decide how to classify the the MINI. For example: put an aftermarket 15% reduction pulley on a MINI Cooper S (a $300 mod) and you're in "mod-till-you-drop" Street Mod class. Buy a JCW car from the factory ($5,000 mod) that includes the same pulley (and a ported head and other mods) and you're in STX.

I'd like to propose the following for the MINI if you're going to drop the MINI classes:
    1. MINI Cooper: Touring
    2. MINI Cooper S: Sport (this would include any mods that are a part of the JCW package: up to a 15% reduction pulley, remapped ECU, sway bar, intake and exahust)
    3. Franken-MINI (turbo-compressor, twin-screw or greater than 15% pulley): Unlimited.

Anyway, that's my $.02 as one MINI driver who made 3 events.
    Yes, you can win a class with only 1 car. Putting a minimum number of events prevents people from trying to win 2 different classes in a single season.

Chapterfest had it's own trophies. There will be season trophies which should be given away at the Holiday party.
    http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=97,597,0,0,1,0

Although I understand what you are suggesting for the MINI classes, I don't think splitting the MINIs is a solution since nobody attended enough events in those classes. I believe there were a total of 6 MINIs who ran this season. The only MINI which did attend enough events had himself put in the 'X' class because he wanted some competition.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric View Post

Although I understand what you are suggesting for the MINI classes, I don't think splitting the MINIs is a solution since nobody attended enough events in those classes. I believe there were a total of 6 MINIs who ran this season. The only MINI which did attend enough events had himself put in the 'X' class because he wanted some competition.

---Eric
    I'm bummed there weren't more MINIs too. I think there was one event where there were 4 or 5 of us there, but we were split in 3 different classes. If the participation doesn't justify a MINI only class, I'd just like to see us folded into a class where we could be competitive. Jim was clearly the fastest MINI this year. I think he would have been competitive in Modified Sport.

I'd just ask that if the committee decides to drop the MINI classes, that we get rolled into one (or more) of the BMW classes rather than X and XR. I think this helps enforce the club's goals of including MINIs in the membership. To oversimplify, MINIs come in 3 flavors: Cooper, MCS, and JCW which are sort of analogous to the E30 318, 325, and M3 versions. If we don't run a MINI class, just tack us on to the definitions of Super Sport (JCW); Sport (MCS); and Touring (Cooper).

Then my only other request would be rain for more events.... Ripkin was a blast

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

I'm bummed there weren't more MINIs too. I think there was one event where there were 4 or 5 of us there, but we were split in 3 different classes. If the participation doesn't justify a MINI only class, I'd just like to see us folded into a class where we could be competitive. Jim was clearly the fastest MINI this year. I think he would have been competitive in Modified Sport.

I'd just ask that if the committee decides to drop the MINI classes, that we get rolled into one (or more) of the BMW classes rather than X and XR. I think this helps enforce the club's goals of including MINIs in the membership. To oversimplify, MINIs come in 3 flavors: Cooper, MCS, and JCW which are sort of analogous to the E30 318, 325, and M3 versions. If we don't run a MINI class, just tack us on to the definitions of Super Sport (JCW); Sport (MCS); and Touring (Cooper).

Then my only other request would be rain for more events.... Ripkin was a blast
    I was concerned about a lack of participation in the MINI class when we originally built it. That killed the possibility of 3 classes (one being an unlimited-type). We considered having just 1 class but thought that might create too many complaints from unmodified cars and could discourage new autocrossers. I was hoping that creating a MINI class would bring out some new autocrossers but it didn't seem to work. Do you have any suggestions? Feel free to start a new thread to focus on MINI classing solutions.

---Eric

To oversimplify, MINIs come in 3 flavors: Cooper, MCS, and JCW
    And GP.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I've always thought we should encourage Minis to come out to our events. Giving them their own class only seemed to decrease participation. So now I'm for putting the S models in Sport and regular Mini's in Touring. Of course if Marshall Cone starts coming out in his HS Mini the rest of the Touring class might as well stay home.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I've always thought we should encourage Minis to come out to our events. Giving them their own class only seemed to decrease participation. So now I'm for putting the S models in Sport and regular Mini's in Touring. Of course if Marshall Cone starts coming out in his HS Mini the rest of the Touring class might as well stay home.
    Giving them their own classes didn't decrease participation. I think there were 6 MINIs autocrossed in 2005 and 6 in 2006. I think autocross participation overall dropped a bit this year so I would view it somewhat as a success (just not as successful as I had hoped).

---Eric

I agree with Biggins and Woody. Put them in the BMW classes and let them compete there. That way they will have some competition and still be eligible for class trophies.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY View Post
    I agree with Biggins and Woody. Put them in the BMW classes and let them compete there. That way they will have some competition and still be eligible for class trophies.
    I guess I inadvertently launched this discussion way before I meant to.

Anyway, I think SMOODY's suggestion is fine. It would be nice to compete for trophies.

About the X Class: I had a great time competing in the X Class in 2005--my second year in the sport--and I took it seriously. This past year, I took it a little less seriously just because of the confusion about classing. Either way, it was a great opportunity to run some really fun events and get more seat time. The club deserves credit for accomodating non-BMWs.

My suggestion for 2007 is to either (i) have the MINIs in the X Class or (ii) group them in the BMW classes, as SMOODY and some of the others are suggesting, but (iii) the MINI classes this year were an artificiality that you don't need to repeat. Just my $.02.

Whatever is decided, I'm looking forward to 2007.

Cheers,

Jim
    2004 Covette ZO6
    2008 Mustang Bullitt

For those who trophied. Please verify the spelling of your name.
    http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=15,935,0,0,1,0

A new thread has been built where any additional classing suggestions can go. This will make it easier for us to keep track of everything so we don't miss anything at the meeting:
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthrea...5953#post15953

Thanks,

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric View Post
    For those who trophied. Please verify the spelling of your name.
    And hopefully Adam won't mess up transcribing it...

New Photos from ChapterFest 2006 in Gallery

Sorry I didn't get everyone...

Thread Information