Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Safety Management at NCC Schools

Thread: Safety Management at NCC Schools

Safety Management at NCC Schools

I've been tasked with coordinating corner and pit workers at the inaugural SCCA Level 1 PDX at Summit Point this November. Having attended one BMWCCA driver school and one NASA HPDE, I'm doing some comparison so that my head is straight going into this new event. I've been and SCCA flagger and pit marshal for about three years, so I'm familiar with how club racing goes about this.

So, I have some questions about how NCC runs their schools. I'm interested mainly in the scene at Summit Point, but other perspectives are welcome. Also, keep in mind that I'm only concerned with schools, not club races.
    1. Does NCC do hot pulls (i.e., extricating/removing vehicles under a standing yellow flag without stopping the session)?
    2. Are volunteer vehicles used for flat towing?
    3. Does NCC employ professional EV workers (i.e., the guys and gals who pilot "Big Blue", BSR wreckers, and ambulances)?
    4. What radio commnuication system does NCC use?
    5. Other than the flaggers, pit marshals and grid workers, who is monitoring the communication system? (E.g., central controller, stewards, chief instructor, etc.)
    SCCA is obviously not new to this stuff, but this event calls for a level of coordination that is somewhat less that a MARRS race or a national event. I just want to make sure nothing important is missed... thanks!
    Scott Lowrey

Not sure if anyone else will reply so here's my 2 cents.
    We don't do hot pulls. I think it's pointless in a DE.
    If a car goes off needing assistance the ideal thing would be to throw a full course black and yellow to bring everyone in. I'm not sure what we do.

There is a tow truck at the track that someone will hop in to pull someone off the track.

BSR supply paramedics along with an ambulance at each track.
    We borrow radios from BSR.

A few people will be on the radio and depending on the day, sometimes BSR handles control and pit out.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thanks, Steven!

So when we had that B group incident at the exit turn 1 during the last school, how was that handled? A volunteer drove the wrecker out to retrieve the car?

I assume the flaggers have radios also?
    Scott Lowrey

Banned
    Scotty,

How many bodies will you have to work with?? Makes a big difference in your coverage of the track and running control and pit out. I would have corner workers at turns 1,5,9, 10 and someone with you at pitout. And two people in the tower acting as control. Control also manages the time so you dont have to and keeps things running smoothly and hopefully on time. They can make adjustments in session run time for any incidents problems or weather. 2 corner workers is the minimum per tub or station. One worker has a hard time talking on the radios and flagging. Been there done that. Fun is having an incident at track out at turn 3 and being the only fool in the tub. Lets see car on roof and a hard hit. Flag, radio and damn I wish I could flag with my toes. Do I save the instructor or student first? You also need to determine who will call a red or black flag situations and roll emergency vehicle.

It is much easier working pens at a herding trial then running a drivers school coordinator. Sheep can be very difficult, attack and refuse to go out on the field but a good dog can resolve the situation. Nothing a good bite cant change. A good herding dog in the car at drivers schools may minimize incidents. Or just let the dog drive.

Dave Apker
    Former DS coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Thanks, Steven!

So when we had that B group incident at the exit turn 1 during the last school, how was that handled? A volunteer drove the wrecker out to retrieve the car?

I assume the flaggers have radios also?
    Most likely it was an NCC instructors who went out with the tow truck if it was needed. I was not aware of the incident until later. All stations must have a radio along with control and the chief instuctor at the very least.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information