Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Wash-Balt area repair shop that does Rod Bearing replacements

Thread: Wash-Balt area repair shop that does Rod Bearing replacements

Wash-Balt area repair shop that does Rod Bearing replacements

Hi All,

Im a new member and tried to find a posting with recommendations for independent shops in the Wash-Balt area that are known for doing quality and affordable Rod Bearing replacement work. I did not find one, so I am asking the forum to see if anyone knows of a shop they would recommend. I have talked to a couple of shops and one mentioned they replaced them on an S65 and another did a replacement job a year or two ago. I am hoping to find a shop has an experienced mechanic that has done this for a number of S85s and knows the right bearings to use and what else to replace while they have the oil pan down. I have read about how the high pressure VANOS line should be replaced, The bearing and the gear lash on the VANOS pump should be checked and the motor mounts replaced. I just want to get this done right the first time.

Thanks for you time!

Quote Originally Posted by E63Owner View Post
    Hi All,

Im a new member and tried to find a posting with recommendations for independent shops in the Wash-Balt area that are known for doing quality and affordable Rod Bearing replacement work. I did not find one, so I am asking the forum to see if anyone knows of a shop they would recommend. I have talked to a couple of shops and one mentioned they replaced them on an S65 and another did a replacement job a year or two ago. I am hoping to find a shop has an experienced mechanic that has done this for a number of S85s and knows the right bearings to use and what else to replace while they have the oil pan down. I have read about how the high pressure VANOS line should be replaced, The bearing and the gear lash on the VANOS pump should be checked and the motor mounts replaced. I just want to get this done right the first time.

Thanks for you time!
    You want to have them replaced with BE Bearings and ARP bolts. RRT in Chantilly, VA has done two of my S54 cars (Z3 M Coupe and Z4M) as well as my S65 E92 M3. You are correct about the motor mounts. Have them done with the bearings. The VANOS is another issue - I cant's speak the S85 but I've had catastrophic failure on an S54 - 3 VANOS camshaft bolts snapped. That said, any hoses in these cars are considered consumables. Just replace them. Our motors are old and this stuff has a shelf life regardless of mileage. You will also tons of info here on the S65 & S85 Rod Bearing page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/252361005418459

RRT is trusted and known shop for this repair in the DMV and a sponsor of our chapter. I'm sure they knock out an S85. There's an Enterprise rent a car location right around the corner from RRT. After you drop your car off you can grab a cheap / nasty rental car to get home as well as appreciate your S85 even more

Let me know if you have any questions. You come to a chapter DIY - we love talking about this stuff https://www.nccbmwcca.org/diy/

Chris Wootten
    DIY Program Chair
    diychair@nccbmwcca.org
    Chris Wootten
    National Capital Chapter Member
    ZSCCA Director (BMW CCA Z Series SIG)
    2002 M Coupe, 2006 Z4MR, 2010 E92 M3, 2000 E46 Touring

Chris,

Thank you, this is just what I was looking for!!! Will call RRT on Monday.

Bill

Thread Information