Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
With all these Blizzaks for sale...

Thread: With all these Blizzaks for sale...

With all these Blizzaks for sale...

I almost wish I hadn't decided to go to 16" wheels for the snows (from 15s)! With the 16x8 Style 5s it's been suggested I go with 225/50s.
    Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area? We need them more for ice traction than snow, and something that's not too harsh for the 99% of the time we're on dry roads during the season. My commute from Leesburg to Purcellville usually finds Rt 7 well-treated, but the melted snow that then refreezes in the evening can be treacherous!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    I almost wish I hadn't decided to go to 16" wheels for the snows (from 15s)! With the 16x8 Style 5s it's been suggested I go with 225/50s.
    Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area? We need them more for ice traction than snow, and something that's not too harsh for the 99% of the time we're on dry roads during the season. My commute from Leesburg to Purcellville usually finds Rt 7 well-treated, but the melted snow that then refreezes in the evening can be treacherous!
    John, Vredstein.
    Blizzaks are great in snow. Artic Alpins are great on ice. But for our weather, Vredstein.
    There was some discussion below.
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=1248
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    What Steven says. Have used Vredstrein's for the last 16 years or so. What sets them apart from other snow tires is they offer dry performance that is equal to most all season performance tires like Yoko Avid H4s' etc.
    They do well in fresh snow, old snow and especially deep slush.

Dave Apker and the collies

Is there a consensus on winter tires for this area?
    John,
    Shelley has run just about every type of tire during her winter drives between Pville and Landsdown, for the past 23 years and the "skinny" Blizzaks have demonstrated to be the best of the lot.
    FWIW,
    -Rod

I just finished up the set of Nokia (no "n" on the end on these 10 y/o vintage NRWs!) and was pleased with the dry ride and wet traction. Closest dealer is Richmond, unless Paul @ Radial can get them. Their new WR seems impressive, but I'll listen to the V'stein pitch.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/nokian.htm
    Jim @ TireRack said that the best winter tire size for E28 is 205/55R16, but with my 16X8 wheels suggested 225/50R16. I understand tall & skinny was always best, but don't want clearance problems.
    And Rod - you always bashed me about the 750 "hubcap" wheels!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Smile

snip... And Rod - you always bashed me about the 750 "hubcap" wheels!
    John,
    Those are fine, as they won't load-up with wet snow and ice, even though they look like dog dishes.
    -Rod

Thread Information