Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
I really irks me when...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I really irks me when...

It really irks me when...

I see a BMW with an M3 or M5 tag that is CLEARLY not an M... why do people bother to de-badge their cars and purchase a fake badge - do they think people won't know the difference... WTF???
    (Sorry, I needed to vent - just saw an "M5" that had a single pair of exhuast tips, no side grill, standard 5-series trim, and 17" wheels. M5...BS!)
    Last edited by Dirichlet; 10-11-2006 at 02:14 PM.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Was it dark blue with tinted windows? If so, I think I have seen this car also.

I guess this falls into the same category as the folks that put "Turbo" badges and huge spoilers on their cars.

The ones I really love are the folks that graft BMW parts on their econoboxes trying to make everyone think they have a BMW. Click the link below for more horrific things being done to poor helpless cars.

http://www.jimmy540i.com/bmwnightmare.htm
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY View Post
    OMG!!! There's 15 friggin' pages of them!!! That's it... it's official... the world is coming to an end.

And yes, it was a dark blue "M5"... pathetic
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Just got to let it go.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet View Post
    OMG!!! There's 15 friggin' pages of them!!! That's it... it's official... the world is coming to an end.

And yes, it was a dark blue "M5"... pathetic
    I pray you never see any of the modded "M cars" that I see all the time out here in Hagerstown.

Banned
    Hey my new Honda Element is now an "M" Element "CSL".

Dave Apker and the collies

In April of 1987 I took European Delivery of a 325is. During the 10 days I traveled around Germany and Austria I noticed a good number of BMW and Mercedes owners had removed the model designation from their trunk lids, and a good number of the BMW owners were carrying the M emblem on everything from 316s to the 7-series. So the first thing I did upon receiving my car back in the States was remove the 325is emblem and replace it with an ///M (not an ///M3). Yeah, I took some grief for it, but I always looked on it as showing my support for the ///M team - just like someone who wears a Redskin jersey. I don't think they're trying to fool people into thinking they are a Redskin player. As to that 5-series with the M5 emblem, well. . . . .?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    In April of 1987 I took European Delivery of a 325is. During the 10 days I traveled around Germany and Austria I noticed a good number of BMW and Mercedes owners had removed the model designation from their trunk lids, and a good number of the BMW owners were carrying the M emblem on everything from 316s to the 7-series. So the first thing I did upon receiving my car back in the States was remove the 325is emblem and replace it with an ///M (not an ///M3). Yeah, I took some grief for it, but I always looked on it as showing my support for the ///M team - just like someone who wears a Redskin jersey. I don't think they're trying to fool people into thinking they are a Redskin player. As to that 5-series with the M5 emblem, well. . . . .?
    My car is debadged...

When I lived in France, I regularly saw M cars RE-badged as 316s/318s. It's all a personal preference, but the personal preferences on BMW styling in Hagerstown (generally) are unique to say the very least.

Talking

I'm going to rebadge my car in the opposite direction. Hopefully the public will believe that it's a "real" E36 318i.

(And fewer Honda owners will try to drag-race me as a result.)

Jon
    Last edited by getfast; 10-16-2006 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by getfast View Post
    I'm going to rebadge my car in the opposite direction. Hopefully the public will believe that it's a "real" E36 318i.
    Then ditch the dual tip exhaust and the M-technic trim and you'll be set.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    And the dished DSII's... and the 160mph speedo... and soforth...

Probably too much work just to end up with a car that looks like more of a sleeper than it already is

Jon

And the dished DSII's... and the 160mph speedo... and soforth...

Probably too much work just to end up with a car that looks like more of a sleeper than it already is

Jon
    Probably be easier to get a 318i and do a swap.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    I think my badgeless ti with factory Clubsport ///M-technik spoilers/skirts, BBS RCs, lowered, and big 76 mm twin tip cannon shooters (not to mention roll bar and Recaros) pretty much gives it away.
    Gary ex-spinmeister
    "Drift it, but don't spin..." Tanner Foust, Fed Ex 10/29/06

(And fewer Honda owners will try to drag-race me as a result.)

Jon
    When I got my MX-5, I immediately de-badged it. It's great, few people know what it is.

I left the 328i on my BMW, but nobody believes it.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

This is my take on it. For those of us who know better, we smile and just say internally "Yeah, right. M3." For those do not know they have not missed anyting. Therefore, no one is impressed. My 2 cents.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information