Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Selling 3rd Party Questions

Thread: Selling 3rd Party Questions

Question Selling 3rd Party Questions

Well, I am going to try to sell my wife's car on my own, and so far I have not had much luck. I have posted it on two BMW enthusiast sites (BMW CCA and Road Fly), and have dropped my price 3 times, and still no serious hits. Any recommendations as to where I should post the car? Should I pay for the fancy upgrades on the sites to get more attention on the car? I am not pressed to sell the car, but if possible, I would like to get her something a bit newer.

Any suggestions are appreciated .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resize.JPG 
Views:	269 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	217  

Banned
    In todays market are you sure you have the car priced correctly. Friend of mine sold her house in less than a week and 5 contacts last week. She also had a bidding war because he house was priced right. The other 13 houses in her neighborhood have been on the market for months.

Price you car a few hundred dollars above the wholesale value for the car.
    The private part prices in Edmunds and KBB are bogus.

Dave Apker

Market Value and Enthusiast Value

You make a great point about cost. The whole reason that I am selling the car myself is because I want to get more than the wholesale cost. The dealership offered me wholesale prices. I want to get a fair market price for the car. I have looked on all of the different used car web sites, compiled the prices, and took the average, which is what I am asking for. I am not sure if this is the best method of determining price. If there are any suggestions, please don't hesitate to chime in.

Banned
    I have never paid more a few hundred dollars over the wholesale cost when I have bought a car from a private party. What type of car etc.
    Edmunds says the difference between trade in and private party is approx $1700.00 fro 2002 5 series. Go for a $1k over and settle for a $500.00 over the trade in value. If I was interested in your car I would over you $250.00 over the wholesale value. If you dont take my offer someone else will. My next door neighbor is in the wholesale used car business and there is a glut of used cars out there. Big cars, trucks and SUVs arent selling. If you were selling a used Prius you might get your price. There is glut of 2006 new cars and trucks out there. It is not a sellers market. You dont have a rare M car. Its costing you money and time. The buyer rules in used cars! The car is deprecitating as it sits in your drive way.

Dave Apker and collies

I sold my car 2 months ago on this site for a good price so, I'll offer up some advice. First be very specific on the condition of your vehicle, maintanence and service history. If it is better than average than make it known. If not, also make it known. This will help determine the worth of the vehicle. Second, provide numerous pictures of (high resolution if possible) that highlight the vehicles condition.

When selling on sites like roadfly, here or Bimmerforums etc... remember that you are selling to enthusiasts. Most are looking for the gem car that was not just maintained but loved and charished. If you can show this, you will attract a buyer that is sometimes willing to pay a bit more than an average car.

If you need more info, feel free to PM me.

Here is an was my add:

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=1934

Pete

Pete, you have given me some hope. My car is in your category, which is one that is loved, meticulously maintained and cared for. Case in point, there are no scratches along with no dings. And I agree with you regarding the level of detail and info that is given. My wife's car is not a daily driver, so the miles are super low. I have put the links to where you can see the car. Let me know your thoughts:

http://www.roadfly.com/bmw/classifie...8&sortby=&dir=

http://www.bmwcca.org/classifieds/5248

I have gone on other sites to determine the going price for the car, and I am $500 over what the average asking price is, and the major difference between my car and the ones online is that my is a Certified Pre Owned, and it is in like-new condition (plus it gives me a bit of negotiation room).

Selling your car

I don't know anything about tinting, so I apologize in advance if I am off the mark here

Having said that, if you can, I would get rid of the tinting on your car. Not everyone likes tinting, and I think it is even illegal in VA where I live. Personally I steer clear of cars with tinting, but that might just be my taste. You don't see a lot of cars with tinting in VA. Otherwise it looks like a REALLY nice car.

Good luck.

Banned
    Sorry your car is just is not worth price you are asking for it. Maybe you can get $26k for it if the right rube walks by. $22 to 24K would be a fair price. Car is not rare or in demand. The reason you car hasnt sold is you price is way out of line. A buyer doesnt care about no scratches.
    The fact it hasnt been driven alot can mean the car will or could have problems. Hand washed and waxed doesnt matter. This isnt a highly desireable BMW. 540is are a dime a dozen. Low mileage on a run of the mill 5 series just isnt that important.

Let me borrow my next door neighbors black book and I give $250 over the wholesale value. The value of your car is declining. You are paying insurance on it and keep tags on it. The fact it was a CPO is worthless.

Now a good herding dog is an appreciating asset. You appreciate the fact your dog has a sense of humor when its time to go to work.

Dave Apker and the collies

In not so subtle way, as usuall, Dave is correct.

-- Jason

I just saw the add and it's a bit high for that car and mileage. Even with the best condition ratings that car on KBB is 30K (private party). In this case, I suspect that you would have to lower your price a bit before you get a bite.

Good luck,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jkuper View Post
    In not so subtle way, as usuall, Dave is correct.
    Are you saying that Dave is usually correct or is usually not so subtle?

:P

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Thread Information