Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Front Control Arm Bushing

Thread: Front Control Arm Bushing

Front Control Arm Bushing

First, let me thank James at Bimmerworld for his incredibly fast response to my request for new bushings - I have ordered the Powerflex urethane bushings (in housing) which will be in tomorrow.
    However, I have no experience with replacing these bushings - any help would be truly appreciated

(please note that I have only tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday night to install and test them)

~Colin
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet View Post
    First, let me thank James at Bimmerworld for his incredibly fast response to my request for new bushings - I have ordered the Powerflex urethane bushings (in housing) which will be in tomorrow.
    However, I have no experience with replacing these bushings - any help would be truly appreciated

(please note that I have only tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday night to install and test them)

~Colin
    So, you're just changing the bushings and not the arms? Since you got the ones already pressed into the housings, it should be a piece of cake. Rent a 3-jaw puller from Autozone or Advance auto parts. You can use that to get the old ones off. You should be able to push the new ones on by hand. When I changed mine, I was able to get the right side on easily, but the left side wouldn't give. Ended up using one of those ratcheting tie-down straps, hooked around the holes in the arm, to get the bushing onto the end of the arm.
    There are a couple of DIYs floating around. Try e46fanatics.com and bimmerdiy.com.

Oh, and it helps to take the wheels off the car, as it's easier to move the control arms around.

Anand

Colin,

I just did this on my car this past weekend. I replaced the control arms in addition to the PowerFlex bushings (I wanted to eliminate any play in the front end). I agree with Anand. If you are just replacing the bushings then it is not that difficult. The control arms are another story. It took a tie rod seperator (pickle fork), a 2.5 lb sledgehammer, and lots of heavy hitting to eventually get the old ones off.

There are several nice DIY write-ups on line, but the general process is as follows.

1) Put car on jackstands.
    2) Remove the 2 bolts that hold the bushing housing on each side.
    3) Cut the bushings to separate the piece in the housing from the piece on the end of the control arm. A drill or dremel tool with a side cutting bit should work.
    4) Remove the remants of the bushing from the control arm with the puller.
    5) Clean the control arm to remove any residue of the old bushing. Coat with soapy water and push the new bushing and housing onto the control arm. A nice heavy rubber mallet works wonders.
    6) Align housing with the holes on the vehicle frame and reattach housing to vehicle frame. Torque to specs.
    7) Lower car and enjoy.

The new bushings are nice. Definitely worth the effort. The clunking and play in the front end are a thing of the past. Good luck.

Steve
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY View Post
    Colin,

I just did this on my car this past weekend. I replaced the control arms in addition to the PowerFlex bushings (I wanted to eliminate any play in the front end). I agree with Anand. If you are just replacing the bushings then it is not that difficult. The control arms are another story. It took a tie rod seperator (pickle fork), a 2.5 lb sledgehammer, and lots of heavy hitting to eventually get the old ones off.

There are several nice DIY write-ups on line, but the general process is as follows.

1) Put car on jackstands.
    2) Remove the 2 bolts that hold the bushing housing on each side.
    3) Cut the bushings to separate the piece in the housing from the piece on the end of the control arm. A drill or dremel tool with a side cutting bit should work.
    4) Remove the remants of the bushing from the control arm with the puller.
    5) Clean the control arm to remove any residue of the old bushing. Coat with soapy water and push the new bushing and housing onto the control arm. A nice heavy rubber mallet works wonders.
    6) Align housing with the holes on the vehicle frame and reattach housing to vehicle frame. Torque to specs.
    7) Lower car and enjoy.

The new bushings are nice. Definitely worth the effort. The clunking and play in the front end are a thing of the past. Good luck.

Steve
    Do you happen to know what the torque specs. are on the bushing housing or a link to a site which will tell me?

Thread Information