Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
SMG locked up

Thread: SMG locked up

SMG locked up

Hey, I'm new to posting, but before I pay to get my 2002 M3 SMG towed to the service station (in shame), I wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before: I went to start the car, but the SMG display showed that it was still in Reverse instead of Neutral (where the shifter was). Since SMGs won't start in gear, I haven't been able to get the car to start all day. I've tried disconnecting the battery, and leaving it alone for awhile, no dice. Does anyone know of a system reset switch or some other way to get the car in neutral.

Thanks,
    Matt

Not sure if there is a simple fix for this one. I know that there have been issues with solenoids and software in the SMGs. I have also seen stories online about folks having similar problems that required the SMG control units to be swapped for an updated version.

Your best course of action is probably to have it towed to the dealer, bitch heavily, and hope that they will fix it for free.

Edit: I just remembered one possible quick fix. Some of the cars have had issues with a flaky hood sensor. Basically the car thinks that the hood is open, so the SMG will not go into gear. The fix is to open and forcefully close the hood. I know this is not quite the same issue you are having, but it might be worth a try.
    Last edited by SMOODY; 09-18-2006 at 05:01 PM. Reason: More info.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Rut Roh!
    Please tell me this in an anomaly. I have a 2005 330CiC w/ SMG.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Replace the SMG relay.

And check your battery.

If those don't do it, you're probably ****ed.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Sometimes mine needs a really HARD press on the brake pedal with the ignition on.

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
    Rut Roh!
    Please tell me this in an anomaly. I have a 2005 330CiC w/ SMG.
    Tom
    Totally different SMG.

Thanks for everyone who offered some help. I called a BMW mechanic that I know and he had me disconnect the battery, leave the car alone overnight, and try starting it in the morning. The next morning the car started right up. I guess this sort of thing has a tendency to happen when the car is turned off in Reverse instead of in 1st gear. I can't find anything in the manuals that says that this can happen, but I'm definately not going to do it again. Just a heads up to everyone.

I never had issues leaving it in reverse. 2 years and 20k miles. I'd say it was left in reverse 90% of the time. :dunno

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Slpnbyu View Post
    Totally different SMG.
    Yes, I realize that but....
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

If that's the case replace the SMG relay - You've gotten a reprieve, but it's almost certainly failing. It's a $5 part and it's easy to do.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information