Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Rhytmic sound from wheels, what is this? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Rhytmic sound from wheels, what is this?

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    they don't. i just randomly pulled one of the bentleys off my shelf, the e46, and there is nowhere in there i could find that says rotors must be turned or replaced when pads are changed.

the bmw oem manual says to replace a lot of things that don't need to be replaced. i wouldn't be surprised if it said rotors. that is more money for their dealers and parts biz, and it covers their butt for liability.

i have done hundreds of brake jobs on bmw's from 2002's to 7 series and have maintained a number of race cars. i never turn bmw rotors, not worth it. if damaged, they get tossed. if good, they get new pads put on. never had any problems, nor do i expect any.

if you like to replace or turn rotors more often than needed, go for it. not required, but doesn't hurt.

From the 1984-90 (E30) Bentley Service manual
    © Bentley Publishers (June 1990)- Page 16 of the "Brakes" section specifically states that the rotors should be resurfaced or replaced when changing pads!

Ouch.
    Last edited by chicane; 11-13-2006 at 11:25 PM.

Banned
    An I had an E30 for 16 years. the rotors were only replaced when needed not when the pads were replaced. And when I was running schools I was replacing pads several times a year. I probably had 6 front pad changes on the front rotors and 4 rear pad changes on the rear rotors when I got rid of my E30 and the rotors had approx a 160,000 miles on the car and the car recently had a major service and my mechanic would have advised a rotor change. And since E30 rotors are cheap it wasnt a cost issue.

And dont forget BMW with their OEM rotors recommends against turning the rotors and states you should replace them instead.

And lets see Bentley manual or a BMW mechanic with over 30 years of experience, former BMW dealer mechanic, shop owner, NCC chief Instructor, recognised E30M3 expert and owner of E30325is. And a man I trusted with my life to prep my car and keep it safe for drivers schools. No ouch, bubba. Just face it you are wrong.

Dave Apker and collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    An I had an E30 for 16 years. the rotors were only replaced when needed not when the pads were replaced. And when I was running schools I was replacing pads several times a year. I probably had 6 front pad changes on the front rotors and 4 rear pad changes on the rear rotors when I got rid of my E30 and the rotors had approx a 160,000 miles on the car and the car recently had a major service and my mechanic would have advised a rotor change. And since E30 rotors are cheap it wasnt a cost issue.

And dont forget BMW with their OEM rotors recommends against turning the rotors and states you should replace them instead.

And lets see Bentley manual or a BMW mechanic with over 30 years of experience, former BMW dealer mechanic, shop owner, NCC chief Instructor, recognised E30M3 expert and owner of E30325is. And a man I trusted with my life to prep my car and keep it safe for drivers schools. No ouch, bubba. Just face it you are wrong.

Dave Apker and collies
    While it's admirable that you hold your instructor in such high regard, that doesn't change the facts. The combined experience of the Bentley editorial team (who do nothing but repair BMW's) trumps your one experience from your instructor.

This is not a BMW specific maintenance procedure either. Turning or replacing rotors or drums while replacing pads and shoes, respectively, is a tried and true principle of proper brake maintenance, with decades of proof behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by vjmvjmvjm View Post

Next up on Geraldo, how often should I change my oil? Should I take my $80,000 7-series to Wal-Mart for oil changes? Do I need winter tires, or are my excellent driving skills adequate? Can I use synthetic oil in my E30? Are K&N filters any good? What is the best religion? Where do I get my butt dyno calibrated?

Vic
    you win best post of the thread vic!!!!

i am done...if after 4 pages tripower doesn't get it...he won't ever!

Banned
    He is a Pontiac guy and an old one at that. Enough said.

Dave Apker

Exclamation Get What? Say What?

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    you win best post of the thread vic!!!!

i am done...if after 4 pages tripower doesn't get it...he won't ever!
    Get what? It's your car and your business how you take care of it, but I certainly am not going to let those comments go unanswered, especially when they are presented as the definitive answer and especially when I can find documentation to back up my point.

Brakes are serious business. People should have all of the facts when doing work like this and then decide for themselves how best to take care of their vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    He is a Pontiac guy and an old one at that. Enough said.

Dave Apker
    Wow. And you gleaned all of that info from...

Thread Information