While driving to Florida a couple of weeks ago, my wife got a ticket for 82 in a 60 in one of the "highway safety corridors" on I-95. Horrors, that's an automatic reckless driving charge!

We're not too concerned about driving down there for the hearing, but we really don't want to risk a criminal conviction, so we've got to plead this down.

Questions:

1. When you get a hearing date on a VA ticket like this, can you enter a plea and tell the judge you'll be retaining an attorney, or do they expect you to contest the case then and there?

2. How likely are they to let you plead down in Manassas? I expect to pay a hefty fine and get probation, but we've got to get that charge reduced. My wife has had no moving violations in the last three years. Anybody have personal experience? I have some idea what an attorney's fee would be for this kind of case, and know that I would get good value in return, but of course would rather spend that money on a set of Bilstein Sports, or something. On the other hand, if there's any risk of having that (ridiculous) charge stick, we'll retain counsel without a second thought.

3. Anybody know a good attorney in Manassas that could represent Her in this case? (Please PM if you can make a referral)

I'm a Delaware Valley chapter CCA member, and have thankfully never been in this kind of pickle before (well, I've represented myself in one very minor speeding ticket). I realize that noone can give me "real" legal advice on this board, but any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated and might make me feel better.

Thanks for looking.