Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Marrs 8

Thread: Marrs 8

Marrs 8

I was racing in MARRS 8, which was one of the most crash-inflicted races I've ever been in. At the start several cars came together and one hit the trees, bounced off and was parked for the rest of the race.

During the race, way too many cars hit one another. Then, around lap 10 we were red-flagged. Here's what a friend emailed me about the red flag:

"You missed the wildest wreck ever at Summit Point!!!
    You were on the other side of the track
    when the mercedes 16 valve got tapped and went off at turn 9, got fully
    airborne at the tirewall, took out the spectator fence, went over a car and hit the stands hard enough to knock it off its foundation with spectators
    flying in the air. I thought it be a small version of 1955 le mans! Last I
    heard no one was seriously hurt! At least no ambulances went out.
    In 20 plus years I've been at Summit Point I've never seen a car get that far."

Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

So the car went off just passed the access road (referred to as station "able" by race control) and hit the stands there? I don't think there is a spectator stand in the runoff area at turn 9....

Must've been a wild one.
    Scott Lowrey

it was the its/spu mercedes of rob koch. he banged doors with a baby grand and went off drivers right in turn 7. landed at the bottom of the stands on the inside of the track.

or you could have enjoyed me collecting an out of control american sedan in t10 during the big bore race. he hooked it back across the track right in front of me and i nailed him at about 90mph in the right rear as he was moving left to right. mashed in the front of my bmw in a big way. argh.

yo barry, guess i need to call springfieldautobody right? how are they with race cars?

marshall

Ouch!

Last year an Alfa GTV plowed into the tires on the inside of turn 8 after doing one of those wups wups wups fishtails coming out of the esses. Hit the tires hard and settled on top of the berm.

And I thought that was bad! Sounds like the Merc went for a real flyer.

Sorry to hear about your crash at 10. Gee, I've never heard of a car snapping back toward the pit wall...
    Scott Lowrey

They're Good

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    yo barry, guess i need to call springfieldautobody right? how are they with race cars?
    marshall
    Marshall,
    They're good with racecars. I ought to know!!

Make sure you talk only to Jim Scott or Jim Amery there.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

Wow, sounds like a good weekend to have missed.

Glad everyone seems to be OK personally, although sorry about the race cars.

I have seen several cars hook back across the track towards the pit wall out of 10. The go wide, try to save it, and zip the cross the track then sometimes hit hard enough to bounce back onto the track. Great fun.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thread Information