Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Inexpensive, light wheels, 2X 17x7.5, 2X 17x8.5

Thread: Inexpensive, light wheels, 2X 17x7.5, 2X 17x8.5

Inexpensive, light wheels, 2X 17x7.5, 2X 17x8.5

Wondering if anyone knows of any good sources, new or used, for light wheels in 17x7.5 and 17x8.5. Want to use them for autocross and keep my '01 330 sport in DS. At the moment all I can find are SSR Comps, which are a lot of $$, too much for me at the moment.

If you're in the same boat, what wheels do you run?

Thanks,

Phil/TW
    Torquewrench / Phil Williams
    2001 330i Sport Package, Orient Blue

Light and inexpensive generally do not go together. You might try Kosei they are in an affordable range but are not as light as SSR.

You're right, they don't

With no compromises they certainly don't, but IMO Kosei came up with a good compromise and put out a durable, light, and inexpensive wheel, just as you pointed out.

I heard the K1 Race is going away, and I haven't seen it in both 17x7.5 AND 17x8.5. Am I wrong there?

Thanks,

It did go away, but was brought back by popular demand.

17x8.5 found, but no 17x7.5?

Found 17x8.5 on TireRack, but no 17x8.5 option is shown. My guess is that they don't make the right offset/bolt pattern, but if the offset is just a few mm off and someone else is running it successfully, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Anyone running 17x7.5s? Where did you get 'em?

WRT 'Anyone running 17x7.5s?' Why the interest in such? Would expect interest in a larger widths. Greg

SCCA D Stock

From section 13.4 of the 2006 SCCA Solo Rules

"Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the
    following: it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as
    installed (including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an
    offset more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car.
    The resultant change in track dimensions is allowed."

So the OE wheels on the '01 330 sport are 17x7.5 front and 17x8.5 rear. If I want to stay in D Stock then any wheels I use have to be the same size. Some clubs are more lax than others about enforcing these rules, and the reality is that unless you're winning consistently it's highly unlikely anyone would make a fuss. Since I'm new to the area, I don't have a good feeling for how strict WDCR is, and because I've been in school every Saturday I've missed this club's autocross events .

In general, I completely agree that running four wheels/tires of the same size on the e46 330 is a good thing, balancing the car more towards neutral, allowing tire rotation (if you keep up with it), and likely improving lateral Gs. If I was made of money I'd have a staggered set for autocross and a set of four same-size wheel tires for DE/track days, but at least for now, I've got to choose.

I think I heard of some folks running 17x8.5's up front with 5mm spacers, 245/45-17's. Any truth to this?

Phil/TW

Quote Originally Posted by Torquewrench View Post
    So the OE wheels on the '01 330 sport are 17x7.5 front and 17x8.5 rear. If I want to stay in D Stock then any wheels I use have to be the same size. Some clubs are more lax than others about enforcing these rules, and the reality is that unless you're winning consistently it's highly unlikely anyone would make a fuss. Since I'm new to the area, I don't have a good feeling for how strict WDCR is, and because I've been in school every Saturday I've missed this club's autocross events .
    Check out the Flik Lex wheel from www.edgeracing.com which is relatively light and very cheap. There were more on that site too. I'd give Bimmerworld a call to see if they have their Team Dynamics wheels in the fitment you need. Also, you could check out the Enkei wheels at Discounttiredirect.com are sometimes on sale and pretty light.

And yeah, for SCCA, you have to stay with pretty much the exact size that came on your car for stock class. Your car could also be very competitive in STX on street tires against the WRXs and other slightly modded 330s.

Good ideas, but nothing so far

EdgeRacing: 17x7.5 - Ace Zeus (looks pretty heavy)
    17x8.5 - nothing
    Flik Lex is 17x8

Bimmerworld: Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 looks great but 17x8 only

DiscountTire: 17x7.5 - steel OEM and one heavy chrome wheel
    17x8.5 - nothing

Thanks for the suggestions. What about lightweight OEM wheels in the right size?
    Last edited by Torquewrench; 09-02-2006 at 10:45 AM.

The search continues...

So I found out that last year Tirerack had 17x7.5 blanks that they'd drill for customers in their desired bolt pattern. Unfortunately, they're all gone.

Since aftermarket wheels don't seem to be panning out, I did a little research and found the 17x7.5 and 17x8.5 BMW wheels that should fit my e46 2001 330 ZSP. Wheelweights.net has weights for some, but if you think any of these would be an especially good choice for autocross, let me know.

7.5"x17" M double spoke 24
    8.5"x17" M double spoke 24

8.5"x17" M double spoke II, styling 39

7.5"x17" M double spoke 68
    8.5"x17" M double spoke 68

7.5"x17" M double spoke 97
    8.5"x17" M double spoke 97

7.5"x17" Parallel spoke 85
    8.5"x17" Parallel spoke 85

7.5"x17" Radial spoke composite wheel 86
    8.5"x17" Radial spoke composite wheel 86

8.5"x17" Double spoke composite wheel 71

8.5"x17" Cross spoke composite wheel II, styling 42

8.5"x17" Radial styling 32

7.5"x17 Round spoke styling 18

Thanks,

Phil/TW

can't you run 17x8? bmw sells 17x8 stock wheels for the E46.
    aftermarket there are some good choices - bbs rgr, o.z. superleggero.
    the car will handle better without the staggered setup anyway.

Talking SCCA D-Stock, that's why

I can do whatever I want, but if I want to compete in SCCA D-Stock autocross and be legal I have to stick to the stock wheel size. I covered this earlier in the thread. You're right, there are great wheels in 17x8, 17x8.5 too, but I need a staggered setup that matches the stock wheel sizes or else I'm a cheater .

i didn't think scca was that restrictive on wheels sizes -- they actually have to be the same as the origiinal option package (sport package)? you can, at least used to be able to, change shocks in stock. that can give you a lot of performance improvement... and align the stock suspension to get max stock neg camber (slightly adjustable in E46) and minimal toe in.

BMW OEM wheels are not particularly light but you can probably find some used ones at a bargain price.

Stock leaves a good number of things open, but not wheel size

In SCCA stock you can change shocks, front bar, cat-back exhaust, tires including R-comps, wheels (mind the size), brake pads. m I forgetting anything? Given that it's called stock you can actually do a lot, but yes, wheels have to be the same as the stock wheels.

Thread Information