Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Alarm Question

Thread: Alarm Question

Question Alarm Question

Ok - So the E46 3 Series Convertible does not have the ultrasonic interior motion detector. (Sensor is on headliner in the sedan). Auto Alarm Shop is saying they could locate the sensor somewhere else but "problem is loss of sensitivity in summer and too much sensitivity in winter". In other words, false alarm rate is very high. They do not recommend it. In a condo, this would not be too nice.

So - what does everyone suggest? Do I have any other options? And no sarcasm - it hurts enough already....

Sponge Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob View Post
    Ok - So the E46 3 Series Convertible does not have the ultrasonic interior motion detector. (Sensor is on headliner in the sedan). Auto Alarm Shop is saying they could locate the sensor somewhere else but "problem is loss of sensitivity in summer and too much sensitivity in winter". In other words, false alarm rate is very high. They do not recommend it. In a condo, this would not be too nice.

So - what does everyone suggest? Do I have any other options? And no sarcasm - it hurts enough already....

Sponge Bob
    Actually, I believe there is a factory 2-piece motion sensor component available for the convertible. One sensor covers the front seating area while the other covers the rear. It's not part of the typical alarm package because the install is fairly involved. Sign on to www.bimmerfest.com and search the 3-series archives. I think you'll find part numbers and/or instructions for the install.

I believe AG is right, I vaguely remember reading about this when I was installing the alarm on my e46 coupe. Something about that being a euro option that didn't get implemented on the US models.

Question Dealer say no

Apparently mine was made in 2003 and only those made in 2204 can acccept the motion sensors. Dealer can only say what his data shows.

I'm not sure who to believe. Is there anyone on the Baltimore side that would give me an honest answer...????

Banned
    Sir

Have you thought about a guardian dog to protect you bimmer? My suggestion is to get South Russian Ovcharka pup and train it to protect you assets. Be warned breed standard states 27in or taller at the shoulder and typical full grown male can approach 250lbs. These dogs are strong and athletic and have not been dumbed down by the AKC. Oh you have to make sure the pup understands who is alpha from about 8weeks on without any violence or intimidation. And like most working and herding breeds the dog is smarter than its owner on like the gun dog breeds.

Dave Apker and the collies

Angry Car protection

There were many, well intentioned, suggestions at our tour last Saturday. A dog in our condo would not be a happy animal.

So far, the best suggestion is:
    (1) Place sign out front "Want to Buy Radar Detector"
    (2) Sit on front porch with shotgun

I do not relish the thought of "leave it open".

I'm considering an "after market" alarm package.

HOW ABOUT A VOTE?

Some shops say no to motion sensor = high false alarm
    Some say it is adjustable - and willing to take my money

YES or NO?
    Last edited by SpongeBob; 08-16-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Stay away from aftermarket. Last thing you need is someone messing around in your electrical system. The BMW stealership that installed the OEM system in my M3 did a half-assed job, let alone someone who is not a BMW mechanic messing around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob View Post
    Apparently mine was made in 2003 and only those made in 2204 can acccept the motion sensors. Dealer can only say what his data shows.

I'm not sure who to believe. Is there anyone on the Baltimore side that would give me an honest answer...????
    Start here and follow the first (and subsequent) links. The alarm should fit all 2001 and later 'verts.
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showp...4&postcount=15

Smile "Senior Moment" is home

New top is finally installed to meet "my" specs. Northwest BMW did a great job to ensure proper and neat work was done.

BLUF: No changes, except I will take the radar detector out of the car when not in use.

ALARM etc. decision:
    1. We discussed moving to a gated community that had controlled access to parking. (Go into debt $200K)

2. We discussed putting "senior moment" under cover, getting a third car, and only using her on weekends. (No fun.)

3. We discussed interior motion alarms. (They would still cut through the top and be inside before it alarmed)

4. We discussed exterior perimeter alarms. (No good, since we park in a condo area with a lot of vehicle and people traffic).

I will gamble that this was an isolated incident, and truly theft, not vandalism.
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and holding my hand...
    Sponge Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Stay away from aftermarket. Last thing you need is someone messing around in your electrical system. The BMW stealership that installed the OEM system in my M3 did a half-assed job, let alone someone who is not a BMW mechanic messing around in there.
    Just this week we fixed a car where the "stero shop" drilled a screw through the cars LCM (lamp control module). Yes I work for a "stealer" (can we chill on the use of that word, don't get me started) but I have seen wayyyyy to many independent shops, installer just plain screw up a car. Quite a few have bragged how much they paid to get a high-end, custom stero installed only for us to find the car riddled with electronic problems. Sure the installs "look" great but the hidden wiring was just horrible. They would tap into anything with 12V running throught it without any concern what else is on that curcuit.
    Just my veiw as a professional with many years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by schosports View Post
    Just this week we fixed a car where the "stero shop" drilled a screw through the cars LCM (lamp control module). Yes I work for a "stealer" (can we chill on the use of that word, don't get me started) but I have seen wayyyyy to many independent shops, installer just plain screw up a car. Quite a few have bragged how much they paid to get a high-end, custom stero installed only for us to find the car riddled with electronic problems. Sure the installs "look" great but the hidden wiring was just horrible. They would tap into anything with 12V running throught it without any concern what else is on that curcuit.
    Just my veiw as a professional with many years in the biz.
    Sorry Bill this is nothing personal at all, we're all just used to calling dealerships by that name. I replaced the cabin filter in my e36 just last week for the first time since the car has been purchased. The security system module was literally hanging off of a Velcro strip (that lost it's stickiness probably years ago), nothing else was holding it. They for some freaking reason also cut a hole for the antenna right through the under-tray under the glove box. Thanks for the hole guys! As if that little cardboard tray has reception insulation in it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR View Post
    Sorry Bill this is nothing personal at all, we're all just used to calling dealerships by that name.
    No problem, it's cool. I'm used to hearing it on younger boards but not on the NCC board. I believed we're all a step above that kind of name calling here. Like I posted many times before, it's my job, it's how I support my family. Yes, there are a lot of incomptent dealers and dealership employees out there, but we're ALL not bad.

Thread Information