Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Wheel bearing tool - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wheel bearing tool

Quote Originally Posted by David Hicks View Post
    I ordered new wheel bearings for my e39 just a few seconds ago. You two have me scared! They've been saying, "wah wah wah" to me for awhile now.
    Where did you order them? I might end up doing it too. It would be great if you could post a report on it when you replace them.

Pelicanparts.com has them for $107 a side, plus about $20 in new bolts. That was the best price I found, and free ground shipping is thrown in. It takes a week to arrive though, since they're in California.

I'll try to take some pictures and post a report. Or you can come to the Club DIY next weekend a watch me do the job in person.

Darn will be flying again that weekend. I hate HG to say the least.

I ordered new wheel bearings for my e39 just a few seconds ago. You two have me scared! They've been saying, "wah wah wah" to me for awhile now.
    make sure you don't just get the bearing cassette. you need a new axle nut, a new inner grease seal and a new outer dust cap to do the job right.

Pelicanparts.com has them for $107 a side, plus about $20 in new bolts. That was the best price I found, and free ground shipping is thrown in. It takes a week to arrive though, since they're in California.

I'll try to take some pictures and post a report. Or you can come to the Club DIY next weekend a watch me do the job in person.
    Sounds like a good deal. I might come out to the Club DIY and say hello and see how it's done.
    Last edited by Scany; 08-27-2006 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Wrong dates about the Club DIY

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    make sure you don't just get the bearing cassette. you need a new axle nut, a new inner grease seal and a new outer dust cap to do the job right.
    Hmm. No sign of needing new axle nuts, grease seals, or dust caps in this writeup. Maybe the e39 is different?

Hmm. No sign of needing new axle nuts, grease seals, or dust caps in this writeup. Maybe the e39 is different?
    dunno, but..there has to be a grease seal on the inner side of the bearing, and it usually gets bent when you pull the inner race off. the axle nut has a section you punch to keep the nut from backing off...it is not reusable. the dust cap on the outside might be reusable if you are careful, but it is better to have a new one handy.

not sure what write up you intended to point to. the link went to the tech session ad.

i have done a lot of bearing replacements on e30/36/46....i don't start the job without all those parts in hand..i actually keep them all in the race car trailer as ready spares...
    Last edited by mlytle; 08-28-2006 at 08:15 PM.

This was the writeup I meant to link to:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/E39_Bearings.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    dunno, but..there has to be a grease seal on the inner side of the bearing, and it usually gets bent when you pull the inner race off. the axle nut has a section you punch to keep the nut from backing off...it is not reusable. the dust cap on the outside might be reusable if you are careful, but it is better to have a new one handy.
    I'm pretty sure all that stuff came in the box with the SKF front hub we put on my car during the 12 Hour.

EDIT: This morning I checked the FAG front bearing I'm currently carrying around as a spare and it does NOT come with a new nut or dust seal. I only bought the FAG because it seemed that the SKF parts were out of stock from every source I use for parts at the time I bought it. I can't make a side by side comparison but my first impression was the FAG bearing is not as well made as the SKF.

I don't think anyone needs to freak out about losing a wheel because of a failing bearing. We ran 2 stints during the 12 Hour with an obviously failing front bearing without any problems. The bigger problem with running a failing bearing is that the bearing race will weld itself to the stub axle long before you lose a wheel. At that point you are looking at replacing a LOT of parts.

Joel
    Last edited by JoelG; 08-31-2006 at 03:17 PM.

This was the writeup I meant to link to:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/E39_Bearings.htm

ahhh! the e39 bearing replacement is a completely different process than the one for e30/36/46! it bolts on vs the 3 series press on. actually looks easier than for the 3 series....

Thread Information