Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Performance parts for a 07 550i

Thread: Performance parts for a 07 550i

Performance parts for a 07 550i

Hey guys,

New member here. I just picked up my 07 550i (european delivery) and looking to do some minor upgrades. I would like to find a comp. chip for a little more horsepower, and maybe upgrade the brake package. Heck, I would like to get an H&N filter but I cant even find that. Are there any performance parts for this car, or is it a) too new or b) there is just not a demand for performance parts for these cars.

Thanks in advance, look forward to chatting with all

Robert

save the cash and take a driving school.

Edit: and welcome

-- Jason

Banned
    Jason,

You beat me to it. Money spent on drivers schools may save your life one day. Best perfroance mod money can buy. My advice do schools and dont make any performance mods until you are faster than the car.

Dave Apker and the collies

Robert, aside from echoing the advice that Jason and Dave voiced about spending money first on your skills, then, later 'upgrading' the car (although aside from dropping a V10 into it, I don't really see what you can do), the best advice I can give you is: never, ever, put a K&N in your car.

A) It actually causes a performance drop, and
    B) The additional dirt it allows through will cause more wear and tear.

My race car had a K&N cone when I bought it; it now has a factory airbox and a Mahle paper filter and I have the dyno data to back up that choice.

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/index.html
    Last edited by SharkD; 08-11-2006 at 12:24 AM.

That's interesting Dave, I've seen many many dyno charts from several different air intake manufacturers that yield nice power gains. I however agree with you about allowing through additional dirt, paper filters are excellent at keeping the engine clean.

First, why do so many people see "Dan" and read "Dave"? It happens all the time, not just here, BTW.

The airboxes on fuel-injected BMWs are designed as a cold air intake, drawing air from outside of the engine compartment. On bone-stock engines, the flow restriction resides in the AFM, not the airbox. Surprisingly enough, those BMW engineers realized that their engines perform best when they get cold air and as much of it as they need.

Now, if you swap out the AFM and bore out the intake manifold or the head, gut the cat or some sort of serious physical change to your engine, then a bigger intake might provide a gain.

The few times I've seen the K&N cones or other "cold air induction" systems provide positive gains is on other manufacturers cars whose intakes draw warm air from the engine compartment or on models which offer various engines, but went cheap on the intake by offering only one design. (CoughFordCough)
    Last edited by SharkD; 08-11-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    First, why do so many people see "Dan" and read "Dave"? It happens all the time, not just here, BTW.
    6 AM posting FTW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    That's interesting Dave, I've seen many many dyno charts from several different air intake manufacturers that yield nice power gains. I however agree with you about allowing through additional dirt, paper filters are excellent at keeping the engine clean.
    Why would you believe any manufacturers dyno chart for any part they sell? Its their dyno under their conditions and test methods. A certain tuner over near Fairfax Circle was known to post questionable dyno numbers. And there are countless others to include K&N.

Dave apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Why would you believe any manufacturers dyno chart for any part they sell? Its their dyno under their conditions and test methods. A certain tuner over near Fairfax Circle was known to post questionable dyno numbers. And there are countless others to include K&N.

Dave apker and the collies
    Sorry I guess I wasn't clear enough. If you browse bimmerforums and do some searching you'll easily find member's dyno sheets for almost any part including intakes. From all I've seen intakes usually net around 5-10 hp on the dyno. I am talking about e36/e46 models.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'm set in terms of a drivers school. I actually race formula continentals in SCCA. Been doing it for a few years now. That said, I think you are right about the K&N now that I have thought it through more. I use a K&N on my formula car, but the motor is constantly being rebuilt, so dirt isn't as much an issue. I didn't really think about it in terms of applying it to a street car.

I guess I was just looking for some easy bolt-ons to gain a little more HP. At the end of the day, I don't plan on doing anything hard core with the new car, thats why I have the formula car!

Thanks again guys.

Robert

You've got 360 HP stock, but if you need more try here: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/index.asp or
    http://www.dinanbmw.com/
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
    You've got 360 HP stock, but if you need more try here: [URL]
    http://www.dinanbmw.com/
    Tom
    Take it from somebody who used to sell "D i n a n" for a few years, it's just not worth it on the new cars. That's just one of the many reasons we do not sell their products anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Robert, aside from echoing the advice that Jason and Dave voiced about spending money first on your skills, then, later 'upgrading' the car (although aside from dropping a V10 into it, I don't really see what you can do), the best advice I can give you is: never, ever, put a K&N in your car.

A) It actually causes a performance drop, and
    B) The additional dirt it allows through will cause more wear and tear.

My race car had a K&N cone when I bought it; it now has a factory airbox and a Mahle paper filter and I have the dyno data to back up that choice.

http://www.bolhuijo.com/airflowtest/index.html
    I'll have to double ditto what all three of these gentlemen have just said.
    I have heard so many stories of these types of filters spewing oil (and thus dirt) all over the MAF and causing them to need frequent cleanings and even premature failure.

Also, go to driving school.

Quote Originally Posted by tripower View Post
    I'll have to double ditto what all three of these gentlemen have just said.
    I have heard so many stories of these types of filters spewing oil (and thus dirt) all over the MAF and causing them to need frequent cleanings and even premature failure.

Also, go to driving school.
    To be fair, even ITG filters can cause problems if not cleaned and recharged properly. I clean my ITG filter and make sure it's good and dry before reinstalling.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information